ch 28: Reminiscent of nicotine

Marco's pov

"But I didn't spill everything that's eating at me." I confessed, closing the gap between us until there was no air left to breathe.

My eyes softened as we locked our gaze. In that moment, it felt like fire and ice colliding, drowning, suffocating, and a silent struggle for dominance. Our eyes held a tension, a conflict that mirrored the dance of fire and ice, one melting the other, and the other extinguishing the flames. It was a silent battle, both intense and captivating.

"Like what?" she snapped, a hint of anger lacing her words as she struggled against the enchantment that seemed to envelop us.

"Like, I'm good! Survived the aftermath of the breakup with my ex. Had my fair share of relationships, and some pretty steamy moments with gorgeous girls—"

"Stop! I don't need the details," she seethed, cutting me off abruptly.

She took a few steps back, and I strolled over. "Why? You don't want to know that I am still living but without a heart? You don't want to know that I couldn't get a single serious relationship with any girl after her? Even when I'm with other girls, it's like I'm playing mental musical chairs, swapping them out for her in my head. No one's managed to fill her shoes." I said, laying it all out while casually staring into her deep blue eyes.

 As she was on the verge of distancing herself, I instinctively grasped her arm, drawing her in with an urgency that closed the physical gap between us, so close that the rhythmic thud of her heart mirrored the accelerated tempo of mine.

"I haven't moved on. I'm still waiting for her return, every memory vivid, and my love for her intact." My other hand found its place on the nape of her neck, gently tilting her head upward.

"All paths lead back to you, even those I traversed in an attempt to erase you from my thoughts."

"M-Marc-"

Her lips slightly parted, and she made no resistance as I lowered my head, my mouth grazing over hers tenderly initially. However, as Matilda responded in kind, grabbing my shirt and drawing nearer, the kiss evolved into an exploration of depths, a fusion of longing and emotion that transcended mere physicality.

As her lips met mine, the solid ground beneath me seemed to liquefy, and time itself halted for that fleeting instant. In that suspended moment, I rediscovered the flavor of life, a sweet and intoxicating essence that permeated every fiber of my being.

Abruptly, she gently pushed me away, her gaze piercing mine before she sighed and averted her eyes. "This isn't right. It's not a relationship between a therapist and her patient. I don't want to see you again, Mr. Carnell. Please leave."

"I'm sorry, I don't know what came over me," I confessed, grabbing my jacket and making my exit.

As I stepped outside, a mix of regret and satisfaction lingered. What had I done? Yet, in some inexplicable way, it felt oddly worthwhile.

I found myself accelerating, a surge of anger coursing through me. As if the universe wanted to compound my frustration, I received a penalty for speeding. Could the day get any worse? Glancing at the clock, I cursed under my breath realizing I was late to pick up my brother from school.

Rushing to his school, I arrived five minutes behind schedule. Anxiously, I halted a passing student and inquired about my brother's whereabouts. The response was that he was still inside, engaged in conversation with another boy. Impatience gnawing at me, I called out to him, the urgency evident in my tone, urging him to wrap up. He complied and came in shortly.

Taking him home, I attempted to maintain composure, struggling to rein in my frustration. Our dinner unfolded in strained silence before I excused myself to my office, the remnants of a tumultuous day still hanging in the air.

I checked my email only to find that the directors had sent over new files. A futile attempt at productivity unfolded as I perused them, my frustration escalating to the point where I expelled them by a call. In a fit of vexation, I hurled the papers strewn across my desk across the room.

Pouring myself a glass of white wine, I settled onto my desk, seeking solace in the amber depths of a fine scotch. Suddenly, Peter, nervously clutching a paper with a glaring 'F' at the top, entered the study. A surge of anger coursed through me - the kid was in deep trouble.

Taking my belt, I disciplined him with a series of stinging lashes. He attempted to stifle his cries, tears marking his distressed face. Convinced I was exerting my full force, I halted the punishment and inquired about the tally. His response suggested 40, but my count revealed 45. Unwilling to administer further injustice, I dismissed him, and he left, struggling to regain composure.

I promptly called the company, severing ties and issuing a strict 42-hour ultimatum for the overdue reports. Summoning the maid to restore order in the disheveled office, I retrieved a file and retreated to my room, preparing for the impending court proceedings.

As the echoes of his cries reverberated through the house, a wave of guilt and sympathy swept over me. Matilda's words echoed in my mind, prompting a deep introspection about the state of our relationship. Do I really want to fix this?

Driven by an inexplicable urge, I found myself navigating to his room. Seating myself on his bed, I tenderly played with his hair. He flinched, prompting me to shift my touch to a gentle rub on his arm. Despite my efforts, he pulled away, consumed by sobs that tugged at my heartstrings.

Realizing my initial approach wasn't offering comfort, I lifted him into my embrace. "Shh, baby brother, you're okay. I've got you. I'm here. Relax, listen to my heartbeats, and control your breath," I reassured him.

He buried his tear-streaked face into my chest. I continued to run my fingers through his hair until his sniffles subsided. Assured of his well-being, I promised to take him out of that teacher's class. The news sparked excitement, and he drifted to sleep in the comfort of my arms.

Gently placing him in his bed, I contemplated my actions. I returned to my room and put my head on the pillow trying to sleep. The weight of guilt pressed upon me, amplifying the truth in Matilda's words. The pain I inflicted on him mirrored the internal anguish within me, leaving me questioning the path I was on.

As I closed my eyes, the vivid memory of her gaze penetrating mine surfaced, followed by the intoxicating collision of our lips. The sweet taste lingered in my mouth, an addictive essence that transported me to euphoric heights.

Her lips, reminiscent of nicotine, left an indelible mark on my senses, an unforgettable flavor that resonated deep within my heart. Each encounter with her lips was a journey into an addictive paradise.

I savored the taste of the water of life in her kiss. It felt as though her lips held the power to resurrect ancient civilizations, turning soil into the lifeblood of antecedent nations.

Just as I began to drift into a profound slumber, a notification jolted me awake. Opening my phone, I discovered a message from Sofia, indicating her safe return home.

Perfect!

To be continued...