ch 24: Pack of cocaine

Peter's pov

I woke up grumpy, my body aching with exhaustion, and a persistent pain in my butt serving as a harsh reminder of the previous day's events. Glancing at the clock, I realized I had slept for more than 8 hours, but the respite was far from restful.

The sound of footsteps in the hallway jolted me awake, and with a sudden surge of fear, I leaped from the bed and locked the door. I didn't want to face him; I didn't want to engage in conversation.

In the stillness of the room, my mind was a tumult of self-deprecating thoughts. I saw myself as nothing more than a burden, a street kid devoid of dreams and a purposeless life. I felt like a mistake, a disappointment, a failure—a loser.

He had the right to punish me, to wield a belt, or even to contemplate more drastic measures. In my eyes, I had become nothing. The weight of my perceived worthlessness pressed heavily on me, and I couldn't shake the feeling that I didn't deserve to live.

A knock echoed through the door. "I don't want to talk to you," I yelled in response.

"It's me, Miles," he replied from the other side.

Skeptical but curious, I unlocked the door, allowing Miles to enter. He said,"Bro, I heard what happened yesterday and I came to check on you."

"Thank you for coming! I don't want to talk about it so don't bother to ask, no one believed me so telling you won't change a thing." 

"I believe you, the two boys who interrupted your way were the boys who were with Nina."

"What? How did you know?" I asked, confused.

"I confronted them and they proudly told me." He clarified.

"This is so stupid! what is they hurt you?"

"They won't, I recorded them and threatned them." He winked at me as he sent me the record.

I heard it and smiled widely,"Thanks bro!" 

"You're welcome, now go and let justice take its place. I talked with the boys in the basketball team, and we will get revenge for this," he assured me.

"Just forget about it," I shrugged, attempting to downplay the situation.

"Why? I won't let them get away with this," Miles insisted.

"It doesn't matter. I'm not that worth it, and I won't show the record to anyone," I dismissed with a hint of resignation.

"Wait, what? Why are you talking down about yourself? You are worth it and deserve good things and a good life. Stop being ridiculous," he urged, his tone firm and supportive.

"Yeah, yeah," I mumbled, not entirely convinced.

"Get in the shower, change your clothes, and let's go out," he directed.

"I don't want to see him or talk to him. And to get permission, I need to talk with him, so-."

"Dude, hold on. No worries, he gave us permission," Miles reassured.

"You asked him?" I questioned in surprise.

"No, he told me not to let you alone and to get you out," Miles explained.

"He did?"

"Yes, I told you he cares."

"Maybe he feels guilty after hitting the crap out of me," I speculated.

"Maybe too," Miles agreed.

I took a shower and got dressed. Miles led me to the kitchen, insisting that I have breakfast. Ah, damn it!