34 • "Dreams...For the Third Time."

...

"..."

I woke up again.

No need for a more poetic, prettier sounding monologue, I'm sure you know.

Oh, but...

Something happened before I woke up.

Something that, unlike my monologue, was really poetic and pretty sounding...

Replace the pretty part with "strange".

"..."

But once again, my day begins. Another boring day, yet one day closer to my lover's eventual arrival back home.

I surely want to visit him in Dragonspine...

I do have the capabilities of getting there, alone, unharmed...

But I do not wish to anger him after he had already told me not to bother him during this time period.

Otherwise...

"..."

Well, surely, I could go tell about this dream of mine to Sister Rosaria?

It surely isn't boring, at least.

...

"(Y/N). Greetings."

And as per usual, I have entered the Angel's Share Tavern this evening too.

"Sister Rosaria. Would you mind if I borrowed your ears?" I sat down on one of the wooden stools in front of the counter, where Diluc wasn't the bartender today.

Strangely, today, Captain Kaeya isn't present.

"Something interesting?" Rosaria asked, raising an eyebrow.

"It's about a dream. Nuns listen to the troubles of common folk, don't they?" I crossed my legs.

"Heh. Though I don't think that this dream of yours really troubled you," Rosaria took a sip of her drink, "But I'll hear you out."

"Nice. Ahem..."

...

"Games..."

I knocked over his Pawn with my Bishop.

"Wouldn't it be funny if Teyvat was just some game?"

"Like a game played by the divine?" He moved his Rook forward, "That wouldn't be so far-fetched."

"Like a mere chess game..." I moved a Pawn forward, "And our lives being in the hands of some bored God."

"Hm..." He knocked my Rook over with his own Rook, "I think it's a tiny bit more complicated than that."

"Oh? How so? Do elaborate, Zhongli."

"It's difficult to explain..." He sipped some tea while waiting for his turn, "I'd prefer if you figured it out by yourself."

"...What an excuse." I knocked over his Bishop with my Queen, "But my curiosity is stronger, and I shall find the truth."

After that, it was but silence...and the sound of the city in the background to set an atmosphere.

Soon enough...

"Checkmate."

His Queen was about to slay my King.

"Man..." I sighed, "No one can beat you in this game, can they, Zhongli?"

"I'm curious to see if your husband could defeat me, actually..." He sipped his beloved tea once more, "He is a genius, after all?"

...

"Who is this ' Zhongli '?" I wondered.

"Bizarre..." Rosaria sipped her wine, "Isn't he the consultant of a funeral parlor in Liyue?"

"A funeral parlor..."

Interesting.

"Does that mean someone close to me will die soon?" I sighed.

"Possibly."

Sister Rosaria doesn't have much of a useful input.

"Or, it could just be some fever dream. Though I have never met the guy before." I turned towards the bartender, Charles.

"One Wolfhook Juice, please."

"Coming right up!"

...

"When technology advances, games will be more advanced too, yes?"

...

Chapter 5: Flames and Frost

...

Fun fact: we first met Bennett on the 13th chapter, and 13 is the unlucky number

I swear I did not plan that, it was a coincidence.