Telling the Alpha What We Lost

Deragan's Country House, Mane Countryside

Sebastian had gone to tell Deragan they'd lost the Watchers. Against every fiber of my being.

His step had slowed every inch he got closer to the town house he knew his Alpha was residing in.

Doing his best to go unnoticed.

Sebastian knocked and entered the echoing house as his Alpha bid, on leaden feet. His booming voice ricocheting through dark, empty halls.

It was a far smaller structure then WaterRose. But feels much colder.

More hollow.

Sebastian was having a hard time meeting Deragan's gaze now. He'd seen the flash of rage and disappointment and could tangibly feel the sense of soul-deep frustration as he sat unmoved on a chair in his Parlor. Blinking slowly at Sebastian as his square jaw hardened.

Sebastian explained Tev had been taking the map from Acharius' hideout to WaterRose for safekeeping, but the Cimmerii had found him just before crossing the NetherRunnel bridge. They'd attacked and fled with the map. Teverius had fought like hell but simply couldn't hold onto it.

Then he'd tried to pursue.

They both knew how much Tev had been risking in trying that.

He'd been unable to overtake them.

Not with Chavias beating him back. Over and over again.

And he knew he couldn't waste all his energy chasing them, so he'd run to me for help.

Bast saw the hollow look his Alpha had given him, and knew his devastation.

Frustrated beyond explanation at our incompetence.

Then fury had replaced that and the black haired, blue eyed Alpha had nearly quaked with rage. His body jerking from where he sat. Making thunder rumble over the House and the ground shake with his annoyance.

Despite himself, Bast found he was taking a step back. Wanting to put space between he and his furious leader.

Very few things affected Deragan but when his rage was incited...It's rarely matched.

Gunnison Forest had withered under the rainy onslaught that Deragan's grief conjured. And thunder had been his roars of anger. Tearing across the countryside like a cracking whip.

He rose to his feet. Dark head bowed and Bast sensed that he wanted to run through him. Hammer at him with his fists until there was nothing left.

Deragan's fists tightened until they were white knuckled.

Doing his best not to lash out on me. Bast knew.

He'd been willing to take the beating. Knowing the depth of pain this news would cause The Alpha.

The loss of his mate's family. The Fallen's sisters...

"I know what we've done." He'd admitted to Deragan.

Deragan's mouth whitened, and he lifted his dark head only enough to stare unblinkingly at Bast. Exuding true contempt in that moment. "You can't possibly."

Sebastian bit his tongue. Nothing he could say would make this better.

"Get out." Deragan said coldly.

Bast lowered his head and backed from the room. Walking faster as he neared the door. Then tearing it open to walk down the few steps onto the grassy gardens.