Guilt is a Demon

Mardichi keenly watched Bast probing Teverius for the intimate details of trouble between Teverius and his pretty purple-haired mate.

He watched Bast for so long that he could no longer take it. "What? Why are you staring?"

"Ye're avoiding returning ta see if yer valkyrie is enraged at ye." Mardichi said perceptively.

Bast shot him a black look. Knowing full well that the barbarian was right.

I hate when he's smarter than he looks. Bast groaned inwardly.

However, he received a momentary reprieve when the innkeeper rushed to the table with a missive in hand. Bast grunted and lifted a staying palm. "I don't want it."

"He insists me give it ta ye, me lord. I've told 'im yer answer willna change." The innkeeper looked a little desperate. "Please take it or he migh' kill me."

"He won't kill you for me refusing to look at his latest offer."

"You dunnot know this man, me lord. He migh'."

Bast groaned. "Set it there."

The innkeeper set the bit on the edge of the table.

Mardichi frowned and eyed the bit of folded parchment the man had set before Bast. Seeing it was

marked with a familiar twining 'SJ', Mardichi palmed it and gave it a quick look over before dismissing it.

Mardichi abruptly stood as he urged. "Come friend. Let's leave Little Brother ta tuck in his unladylike li'l lass and ye and I shall return ta WaterRose together ta see if yer valkyrie will emerge. I'd give 'er methanks tonigh'."

Bast gave him a long look. Touched by the barbarian's moment of sympathy.

He's coming with me.

"Thank you."

"I know what 'tis, ta wonder if me woman will e'er 'ave me back." Mardichi slapped Bast's shoulder, crumpling the parchment he held.

***

WaterRose, Meadow Mountain, Grier countrySEBASTIAN

Mardichi and Sebastian were both pleasantly intoxicated as they made their way to WaterRose. They'd taken the shapes of beasts and managed to half-hazardly stumble the distance back to WaterRose. They travelled the many miles until they grew too weary to retain animal form.

They opted to swing into a tavern on the border of Grier, for Mardichi to get another cask of ale to tide him over for the rest of their uphill journey.

They finally broke into the clearing. Arms draping each other as they staggered from one side to the next.

When close enough, Bast's gaze focused on the meadow. "Don't look up."

"Tha' her magic me feel?"

"'Tis."

"Powerful li'l lass. I hadn't realized she was so strong."

"Don't underestimate her." Bast warned.

"Is she watchin' us then?"

"Undoubtedly."

"Okay. Keep walking steadily then. I've found women don't generally welcome drunkard men home."

"I am walking steadily!"

"I know." Mardichi belched. "Just keep it up, so 'tis not apparent I'm not."

***

From the view of the tower window slit, it was debatable whether the two men were even heading for the castle. Their path veered from one side then the other so extremely that it was hard for Elsabet to tell.