A Whisper in the Dark

WhiteHall, Harridan Hamlet, Paladines (Lost for twenty years)

RAESE

Raese sat up in bed. Blinking into the darkness. Awed by the fact that he felt the accusing rage he'd experienced then, just as genuinely now. As real as his own heartbeat thudding in his chest.

A feeling of angry recognition of that description. And a deep suspicion that the whole reason he'd been tasked with observing the woman to begin with, had been some meddling plan of the man that she had mentioned.

Sebastian.

But Raese didn't feel hate. He felt an odd resentment of someone being a meddling nuisance.

Perhaps like a little brother. Was he my brother?

A glance at his fire told him it'd long since gone out. Which explained the bone deep cold seeping into his bones. Climbing from his bed he drug his coverlet with him. Wrapping it around him to ward off the chill as he went to his window, he stared across the green yard and the distant gardens surrounding his property. The first slow flakes of snow floated beyond his window.

In truth, he saw none of it. Still absorbed with the emotions of his dream. Feeling the dark envy that'd run through him as ravenous as the waves Calisto had invoked to kill the TreeCutters.

Then that feeling had changed to a deep sense of betrayal and annoyance as he recognized that somehow, someone whom he considered close to him, had been meddling in his life. Manipulated him into being in Feglen Forest with the enchanting woman.

That man, Sebastian, had somehow manipulated the Captain into ordering me to Feglen, knowing the sensuous water sprite residing there would tempt me. Raese was sure of this. An old conviction of these known facts, poured through him. And annoyance flaring as the same question kept bubbling to the surface.

Had he been with her? Made love to her?

He'd recently realized that the sprite in those dreams was the same spirit he yearned for now.

But she'd loved that man. And he'd told me nothing of it.

Raese could still sense the surprise he'd felt when it had dawned on him that was whom she spoke of. But try as he might, he couldn't conjure a face that matched the name.

He had only her description to illustrate the unknown man, for him. He was a little ill as he heard her pretty voice describing the man. He still felt the same surge of possessiveness, he'd felt in his dream, rising now.

Poor friend, he was. Keeping secrets and orchestrating meetings.

Unable to resist, Raese tried the name on his lips to see if it evoked anymore memories, or a face.

"Sebastian." He whispered into the dark, hollow night air. Waiting a long while.

Thinking that somehow, impossibly, there should be a response.

Nothing.

***

WaterRose, Meadow Mountain, Grier Country

SEBASTIAN

Sebastian had returned to WaterRose after finding a partner suited to dealing with Mardichi's unique personality for a good amount of coin. And he'd soon be bringing the men together to see if Mardichi was capable of being mature enough to at least tolerate the man.

Sebastian's thoughts of his progress during the day were banished by the delicious scent of the meal laid out before him.

Another silent meal.