Not What the Eyes See

"Thanks to you." Setting the book in the windowsill, Dorena dragged her eyes from Sebastian to stare at its cover.

His words struck her deeply. The impact of them, reverberating through her.

He understood what the meaning of that word meant.

Freedom.

It was such a small word.

Containing so much meaning.

His mind wandered to Elsabet, as it always did. Freedom was what she yearned for.

And what I'm denying her.

Dorena impulsively reached out to thoughtfully stroke the book's cover.

Avoiding looking at me.

Which is fine. It's easier that way.

"You're welcome."

"You want me to go?" Her voice was forlorn.

Yes.

"I think it time. You shouldn't be trapped here."

"You'd let me leave, if I wished?"

Yes, I would.

"That's true. But you're ready to be back out in Ardae. You're strong."

"You've taught me strength. I've never known anyone as strong and kind as you." She said.

She doesn't know all the ugly depths.

Hopefully, she never has to.

"I taught you nothing." He shook his head. His tone growing as sad as he felt. "Just reminded you what was already in you."

I've been dreading this.

She's a sweet woman. And this is going to hurt her.

"My presence is interfering with your woman." She said brokenly. Understanding why he was so eager to let her leave.

With the romance I hunger to have with Elsabet, yes. He was quiet. Unwilling to deny what was so clearly the truth.

"Will I ever be able to come back?" Her voice broke. She was chewing her bottom lip so roughly it had begun to bleed.

"I'm sorry. I can't let you know where this castle is."

It'd endanger them all.

And Radix nearly possessed you before...

"I understand." Her shoulders slumped.

I knew you would.

"But if you cross paths with any of the knights, I'd love you to ask them, bring you to visit. I'll tell them they can, if you're blindfolded."

She smiled at him. Blue eyes welling with tears.

"Don't cry." He stood. Feeling the pain that coursed through her, nearly as if it were his own. He opened his arms for her to turn into them.

She tucked her face into his shirt. Sniffling like a child.

"All those evenings in pain, you sat here with me." She nodded to the chairs. "Talking all night to keep me from thinking about the yearning, the need, the suffering. No one else would've ever done such a thing for me."

There will be plenty now.

She was healed, confident and whole and there would be many men that would long to be with her now.