Wasted Breath

Sebastian knew Mardichi was only jesting about drinking in order to mask the pain he endured from discussing those he'd loved and lost.

That's fair. Sebastian thought. The sickening idea of what he'd be like if Elsabet was gone, was too awful for him to fully consider.

"As soon as you're healed..." Sebastian hesitated. "And after you've rebuilt the Driter's Den."

That ought to change the direction of his thoughts.

"Wha'?" Mardichi looked horrified. "For how much coin?"

None.

"For your honor. Since you destroyed it."

Mardichi frowned. "'ave ye met me, Brother?"

"You do have honor." Bast insisted. "I've given the barkeep coin for his family for now. And my word you'll rebuild what you burned."

"You're a foul brother."

"As you say." Bast grinned.

"Givin' me wor', fer me..." Mardichi grumbled. "Vowing fer me...Ugh."

His groan seemed to go on forever.

"Building it, will busy your hands and mind."

Hopefully draw you from drink.

"You've wallowed long enough."

Mardichi's face crinkled up at the idea.

Bast moved to leave the chamber but paused near the entrance. "Ah, and the Captain has tasked me with finding you a paid friend."

Give him a conscience. Had been what the alpha really said. Saddle him with someone who will slow him down.

"A friend?" Mardichi expostulated. "A nanny, you mean!"

Precisely.

"I prefer paid friend." Bast corrected.

"A 'paid friend' is a maid in me bed I can poke."

That imagery is painful.

I'd rather be blind.

Bast looked horrified. "Yes, this will not be one of those."

Bast shook his head until the image dulled. Quickly changing the subject. "Any preferences in character?"

"Yea." Mardichi announced. "Short, fat, an' slow. So, I may readily leave 'im be'ind."

"Short, fat and slow." Bast lifted a finger to point at him with a wink. "Done."

"I bloody well 'ate ye." Mardichi grumbled as Bast disappeared from the doorway.

People are always saying that... Bast was grinning broadly as he headed out.

***

Sebastian found Elsabet in the solar. Sitting in the large window seat staring below at the trees dotting the bailey around the stable. Her expression indicated she was lost in thought.

Her keen ears hadn't even caught my approach today.

"Els?"

"Yes?" She turned to look at him. Her blue eyes were perfectly set off by the sapphire jewels in her circlet. Another of her designs.

Summoned by her magic.

Her dress was a dark green today. Which pooled delicately on the seat around her. Like calm sea waters.