Run, Girl

WaterRose, Meadow Mountain, Grier Country

SEBASTIAN

Sebastian stumbled up the hill toward WaterRose. So weak he could hardly stand. Only making it in the door because the other knights met him and helped him to the stairs.

"What happened?" Rhyers asked urgently.

"Alazareth needed the Figurines."

"You unleashed the tiny ones?" Rhyers referred to the small dragons that Sebastian could summon.

Though it nearly kills me.

"Let's get you up to your room." Rhyers said.

Elsabet watched quietly from the top of the stairs. "Why would he ask you to do something that would hurt you so."

"Because," Rhyers said over his shoulder. Bitterness tingeing his voice. "He hides how much he suffers from everyone."

"From me?" She queried softly.

"Especially from you." Rhyers snapped at her. Kicking Sebastian's chamber closed and leaving her standing beyond the door.

Like an unwanted pet.

"Rhyers..." Bast chastised. "That was unnecessary."

"She could show some concern for you!"

"She did." Bast defended. Holding his chest and rolling to his side. "For her."

Rhyers grunted in disagreement.

***

Sebastian was bedridden for the next several days. Weak from unleashing his tiny beasts to scout for Alazareth. He barely noticed a new year had begun as he recuperated. Hating every boring moment, he was awake.

He mulled over the valkyrie. As was his want. She's been here drawing on fifteen years now. He mused.

And still no warmer today then in 1701. That thought was less than pleasant. But they'd developed a strange sort of camaraderie where he customarily joined her at the meal table for breakfast and dinner when at WaterRose.

I wonder if she's disturbed, I've not been here for days? Did she even notice?

Strangely, he didn't seem to regain his strength as fast as usual. But he'd gathered enough to creep down and check on her. Hearing her in the library below. Restlessly rummaging through books.

She straightened when she felt a distinct presence. "Sebastian?" She called softly, watching the shadows for him. "Are you here?"

Something slinked along the back wall of the library. A smooth shining black shape glinting in the meager light before vanishing out the doorway as quietly as it'd come.

"Quandary?" She blew a long breath. She hadn't seen him in a long while.

Rushing from the library she tried to catch sight of it in the foyer but was too late.

Bast retreated back to his chamber. Feeling himself weakening. Already changing as he went down the corridor. Dropping to all fours as a naked man, stumbling toward his chamber. Feeling dizzied as though he were going to pass out.

Damn Alazareth. He doesn't know how much it takes from me. Not in truth. Bast had to admit what it'd done to him. He'd never confided the long-term effects to his brother. And none of the other knights were around long enough to realize it took more from him every time the creatures tore his body to pieces.

Elsabet snarled in frustration and turned to return to the library. Jolting when she heard a scrape above her.

A dark wing dragged across the high wall.