Meddling

Chastain reared back, astonished by Sebastian's vehemence in his cryptic statement.

He realized how angry he likely sounded. "I apologize for my harsh words. You are not the source of my ire. That lies in my home."

"I understand." She nodded. "I only need know where Acharius is, to discuss this with him?"

"Oh, no, Miss. I need be well from here before you find him. For he'll want to wring my stringy neck."

She looked at him in horror. "You have to tell me!"

"No." He said firmly. "I don't."

Before she could stop him, he launched through the window.

She ran to it behind him. Catching sight of him below.

He lunged through the garden, his clothes shredding to pieces as he moved. Bits which dissolved before hitting the ground. His body erupted from itself like an overflowing pond. He jerked and twisted. Finally tipping forward onto his hands as his back flattened. Glistening black fur peeled through the skin of his cheeks. Whiskers jutting out. He lunged into the air and by the time he landed, his skin had smoothed into a furry sheen. He landed on silent paws and emitted a ringing roar.

A cry which would be heard deep into the Merwood.

And into Acharius's den. Bast winced. Knowing how happy his friend would be.

Acharius would've instantly identified his cry as having emerged from the Meredith House garden.

He'll be coming.

She'll be watching for him.

Bast's face brightened with a devious light as he fled toward WaterRose. Before he gets his brawny hands on me.

He paused on the hill above the den and peered back at the house.

In the darkness of her window, he could see her outline watching him.

He veered around and loped down the hill at a reckless speed. Aiming for the moor and the stronghold at the opposite end of the country.

Chastain drew a long breath. Shaking her head in wonder.

No one would ever believe what had just happened, except perhaps the two women that had tenderly raised her. However, they'd have lost their minds to realize he was in her chamber mere minutes ago.

Chastain crossed the room to lift her wrap off a hook. Pulling it around her shoulders. Next, she swiped the candleholder off its stand. It had long ago gone out but fortunately, she didn't need its light to find her way to the stairs.

On the lower level, she found Margaret, one of the beloved women that had raised her. Margaret stood at the window of the main room, staring out in alarm.

Margaret scanned toward the garden, her jaw agape at having heard the panther's leaving.

"You heard it leaving?"

Margaret turned stunned brown eyes to her. "I'm certain everyone for miles did!"

"That was another one, wasn't it?" Mags murmured. "Like him?"

***

Sebastian made it out of the Merwood and was nearly out of the Dread Hideout completely when he felt someone thinking of him. Not really calling him. Just thinking of him.

Of drinking with me. Sebastian pinpointed. His lips twitching as he realized who it was. He swung his head southwest toward the Netherlands. Then looked back up the rising hills toward WaterRose.