She's Tempted

Seeing that lost look had spurred him into returning to that table.

She watched his approach apprehensively. Staring up at him. Eyes widening, she slowly chewed. Watching him round the table until he stood across from her. She swallowed hard as he leaned across it.

Gold eyes flashing, he closed in on her. "Never...is a very long time, My Lady...After all, you agreed to ally with Your Prince of Air and Darkness." He lifted his glass to toast her.

How am I so different?

She blew a relieved breath.

What did she think I'd do? Crawl across this table and tip her over? Is she so afraid of me touching her? Kissing her?

Only comfortable when she's the one in control, is she?

He'd hoped she'd deny the man was hers. No such luck.

To his disappointment, she swept her glass from the table. Sending wine over the fine rug. She stood. Livid with rage. Eyes glinting red and chin tipped in defiance. Her posture boded ill for him.

But that form...

Sunlight illuminated that silver gown, exposing her body to his roving gaze. Already breathing heavily, she turned to exit the Dining Hall.

He blinked. Sending out a surge of magic, without moving any more than that. He watched her stomping off. Mesmerized by her pretty silhouette and the blush brightening her cheeks. Stunningly radiant. Fascinating in all her furious glory.

When she reached the doorway, she was jolted and had to take a step back. Eyeing the frame askance before slowly turning on her heel to face him. Slipper squeaking with her slow movement. Withering accusation written over her expression. "You've blocked me in?"

"Yes." He admitted. Sliding into the chair next to the one she'd been in. Plucking a bit of bread which still remained on her platter. Abandoned.

Huffing, she faced the doorway again. Outstretching her hands, she exuded magic in an effort to shred his. Finding her attempts futile, she shrieked in raw frustration. "Feeling better, are we?"

"Quite restored by your meticulous tending..." His eyes went hooded as he gave her a meaningful look.

I don't think she missed a spot, tending every inch of my body...He shifted slightly at the thought.

Staring up and down along the doorway she grunted in aggravation. Using her magic to push against the doorway caused a ripple that forced her back a step.

Startled by unexpected warmth against her back, her arms dropped. And she blew an astonished breath. Knowing before he moved, that he was there.

Directly behind her.

That heated touch wrapped her waist.

She stiffened.

Don't step away. He willed her, as his large palm caressed her hip. Making its way to interlock with the other over her belly. Cradling her against his chest, he dropped his chin atop her head.

Mmm. Wildflowers.

A comforted sigh escaped her, at the feel of his large body wrapping hers. And she eased.

Despite herself.

"Is it a feeling you'd so soon forget? Human contact can be indescribably pleasurable."

You seemed well-aware last night when you were guiding my hands over all that beautiful skin.

"And when it is yours, even more so? Is that what you'd have me believe?" She said waspishly.

Ouch. He flinched.

"Yes." He admitted. Unashamed.

She hasn't moved to get away. Surprising him, even more than herself.

"No. I intended to say little." He said in a low breath. "Merely hold you as long as you're of a mood to indulge me."

She sighed and softened somewhat. As if knowing nothing was expected of her, too the weight off her shoulders. Alleviating the pressure of what she thought he intended.

It's lonely without you.

The thought was so filled with emotion that it pervaded his head. It took him a moment to realize it wasn't his.

It was hers...

He hadn't been peeking into her mind, when he'd caught that.

"I know it can be." He said quietly. "I am sorry."

"Why do you offer me comfort?" She bit out.

Upset because she thinks I was peering in her mind again. He hesitated. Tempted to defend himself and correct her.

"Because everyone deserves solace. No matter their crimes."

Even me.

She was quiet awhile. Frozen. "Mine are many."

"As are mine."

He tightened in shock when she leaned her head back against his high shoulder.

He reflexively tilted a cheek against her smooth forehead. Finding himself swaying slightly side to side. Guiding her in the movement. Rocking her.

But suddenly she stopped. Her body went ramrod tight.

He knew why and grimaced. She just realized the reaction she's having on me.

A ripple of heat coursed through him. Quickly followed by disappointment. She's going to react badly.

He felt the heightened energy in the air. Jolting her from her hypnotic state.

Jerking away she turned, claws tearing through her fingertips. She swiped at him.

Easily dodging the strike, he murmured. "Ah, there's that pretty fury."

Her eyes narrowed wrathfully.

"You're not stemming my reaction with your panting breaths." He nodded toward her rising breasts.

"And heated blush." He gestured to her face and neck. "Exactly how you look when you're blazing with need...Like last night. Every inch of you screaming to be made love to."

Her lip curled in threat. "You mock me?"

"Not in the least." He said coolly. "Don't be mad at me, Little Harpie. 'Twas you that leaned into me."

"Oh, how you delight in antagonizing me!" She twirled to stare at the doorway. Fists clenched as she vibrated with annoyance. Waiting.

He was highly tempted to push her against the wall and rub against all that softness. Would she stay so unyielding? All her walls, freshly restructured this morning, carefully in place? Or would she crumble?

He considered it only a moment before relenting.

He huffed in a mocking mimic of what she'd done. Lifting his hand over her shoulder, he waved his fingertips near her jawbone. Parting smoky tendrils from the doorway to wisp back to his hands. Retracting his magic.

As she stepped through, he lightly caressed her hair as it flowed. Spinning a lock over his fingertip and letting it slide away as she drew from the room.

Shimmering like silk. He was mesmerized by the play of silver and white warring within it. As contradictory and extraordinary as the rest of her.

"Els?"

She shot a glower over her shoulder.

"Who was he, that hurt you?"

Tell me this time. Admit it all. He willed her. Hoping she'd tell him her secrets.

Something inexplicable crossed her face.

Something that looks like pain.

He could feel it. That heart stopping moment, when she was tempted.