I Will Leave

Sebastian tasted the ripe flavor of fresh rabbit and forest cabbage in the broth. Combined with some unknown weeds and spices.

"This is actually quite good." Sebastian confided. Swallowing greedily.

Elsabet nodded.

Something adds a wild flavor.

"Is that rabbit?"

"No. It's venom." She nodded so sagely that he gave her a wary look. After an impossibly long moment, one corner of her mouth crooked.

His body relaxed with relief.

"It's rabbit." She said. Lifting a spoon and making a concentrated effort to not meet his assessing study.

"The one I brought you?" He choked a little.

She slumped, giving him a dark look. "Does it taste that old?"

"No."

It's not it. Reassured, he opened his mouth for another spoonful. Definitely not old.

"You hunted?" He queried.

"You're magic faded when you passed out."

"No."

Her head shot up. "What do you mean, no?"

I let you go.

"I dropped my spell." He closed his eyes so she couldn't see the depth of his emotion.

I didn't want you to be trapped here alone.

The wooden bowl was balanced in her palm. She lowered it in surprise. "You did it on purpose? Why?"

To set you free. He let his head slump back and stared at the ceiling. Not answering her. How would I say that to her without starting the same old fight?

"You were releasing me because you thought you were going to die." Her eyes closed to slits. And there was the hint of accusation in her voice again. Her voice dropped perceptively. Telling him he was once more treading dangerous territory.

His eyes slid sideways to her, but he didn't answer.

"You'd rather die than call to me for help?"

"I didn't think you'd come."

She looked wounded. Lurching back as if he'd just struck her.

Feeling the need to explain, his brows lowered. "You've made no bones about your dislike for me."

"I do not, not like you."

"Well then you've made it clear you don't favor being my captive."

"No one favors being a captive. I'd like being no man's captive."

Dorena did. But saying that wouldn't be good either.

"A woman's captive then?" He teased with a feeble smile.

She gave him a scathing look.

Not so much. He thought ruefully.

"I wouldn't wish you dead." She said so softly he almost didn't hear it.

"Is that why you came to get me?"

She nodded. Focused on wiping the corner of his mouth with a bit of cloth.

"You ran from me only a few days ago, thinking I would attack you." The bitter note in his voice revealed his pain.

"I-I... It's complicated."

"You what?" He prompted. Wanting to know what she considered saying.

"I didn't-I thought...I'm sorry." She gnawed her lip. Finally meeting his gaze after what seemed an eternity of avoiding it.