Beauty in Agony

"You're right." Rhyers relented. Feeling a bit ashamed.

"You grow impatient with him."

"I grow impatient with his sour demeanor."

"Help him Rhyers."

"Can't you?"

"I...Cannot."

I'm still healing.

What Elsabet said crossed his mind. Her chiding him that he should tell all his brethren when he was injured.

But he didn't want them to know that he couldn't, physically help.

I'll always find a way to help.

"What were you thinking just now?" Rhyers queried. Dropping to the blue chair.

"About Raese?"

Rhyers sighed. "It seems like he's been on all our minds a lot lately. Do you think he's still out there?"

"I dream of him now and then."

"But do you think he is?" Rhyers asked stubbornly.

"It's been very quiet for a long time. Sometimes I wonder if I was ever really sensing him, or if I imagined it because I wanted to, so badly."

"I still think we'll find him someday. He'll waltz back to us like he was never gone. Calisto with him."

"I don't think she would be with him, even if he did come back."

I think she's still here.

Rhyers' brow furrowed. Clearly confused.

Sebastian cut him off before he could ask. "Do you ever yearn for a mate?"

"No!" Rhyers said quickly. "All I ever see is you and the alpha yearning for yours! I don't wish for that kind of anguish."

"There's beauty in the agony." Sebastian murmured quietly.

"Not nearly enough!"

You might be surprised.

"How is our alpha's seduction going?" Rhyers queried. Eagerly diverting from the former subject.

"Well. She already feels him."

"She always does." Rhyers laughed slightly. "I can't wait to have her back. She brings life to this castle."

"I think Deragan plans to keep her at Rosewynn."

"Oh." Rhyers mourned. "He won't share her than, huh?"

They all missed the Fallen when she was gone. When she came home, it was like the return of a long-lost sister. She fit amongst all the brethren like a long-lost puzzle piece. Though none would dare cross a line with her, they adored her, nonetheless.

Sebastian wondered what Elsabet would think of her. She's never met her.

"Do you ever tire of being called to our brothers?"

"Me?" Rhyers laughed. Answering with a wave. "No. You're the one rushing out in the dead of night or the earliest hours of morning to get cut, burned, bloodied or frozen. I am more rational in the rescues I muster."

"Hardly." Sebastian remarked. "You're out and about nearly as often as me. Tracking all across Ardae."

"The hunt for demons is never done." Rhyers mourned.

"Do you tire of it?" Rhyers blurted. Understanding, of what Sebastian was saying dawning. "We'd be lost if you gave up."

"No." Sebastian shook his head.