Be More Careful

He watched his words register on her face.

Everytime she's near, I'm in a state of arousal. How could she not know it?

She had stiffened as though he'd slapped her, outright. Slumping back into her seat.

Every reaction she has, is written over her face. Making her delightfully easy to read.

He rather enjoyed it.

"I thought you never lied?" She gathered her composure. Her hair puffed and the ashen color fell away in flakes that dissipated to the floor. Leaving the silvery white of her hair, pouring down the chair back as though someone had just released it. Her skin pinkened, and she looked far more human.

"Except for when it comes to claiming I don't find you attractive." He acknowledged. "I always find you attractive."

"That can't be true. One would grow bored of looking at someone."

He glanced up from the trencher. It was his turn to look as though he'd been struck. "Not hardly! I could prove to you right now, how very attractive I find you."

"Must you always avert the conversation?"

"Must you?" He cocked his head.

"When it is that subject, yes."

"And why, might I ask, is that?" He sat back awaiting her answer. Watching as her eyes spit fire, her cheeks flushed and dark lashes were moving as she blinked furiously, trying to control her temper.

Getting any kind of emotion from her was interesting to him.

Especially because she tries so hard not to exhibit any.

"No. You may not. I asked you a question first."

"Ah, but mine was more interesting." He resumed eating without looking up at her. Knowing without looking, that she'd be vibrating with barely contained rage. The fire behind her roared out beyond the mantle and crested, nearly to the walls.

His acute hearing caught the extra flood of water dumping along the bailey, starting to sound like crashing. He took a bite of food to hide his thoughts.

She's going to flood these walls and send the stones crumbling.

He was always fully aware that she had no idea how truly powerful she was.

If she ever realizes it, she could bring this stronghold down in a blink.

"Go ahead and laugh at me, Captor." She seethed.

"What?" He gave her a startled look. "So, today I'm your captor. When such a short time ago you implied you missed me. And after that...You warmed me in the library." He purred. Eyes brightening with intensity as he gave her an unblinking stare. Knowing he was toying with danger, he found himself, characteristically, antagonistic.

"You assumed I missed you." She swallowed. Throat working.

"I thought you said you did?" He feigned a puzzled frown. As if trying to recall.

"You shouldn't think. It doesn't suit you...Besides, when you do, you elect for poor decisions...Such as drinking poison!"

Ooh, circling back to that already, are we?

"Full of disdain this morning, aren't you?" He asked in an amused tone. Picturing all that passion hot underneath him.

"Do you take anything seriously?" She demanded. Slapping her chair over as she leapt to her feet. Fisting her hands. Eyes rolling from vivid red to bright blue in rapid concession as she fought to control her power. The candles in the Dining Hall began flickering as though nearly consumed by a wild wind. The chandelier hanging high above the table swayed precariously even more than before.

That may come down. He glanced up at it, before returning his focus to her.

Registering what she'd said, he thought to argue. I took bedding you very seriously.

Bast worked hard to keep her from noticing the nervous flicking of his eyes as he scanned how the room was reacting to her.

His ears caught the faint rumbling of other wolves in the castle.

They can feel it too.

I need to calm her down. Now.

Despite my enjoyment.

"Not if possible." He said dryly.

"Will you die for them?" She raged.

"Calm down." He said soothingly.

"Answer me!" She shrieked. Working a small fist.

The walls of WaterRose groaned. And Bast realized it was time he truthfully responded.

"If it's necessary." He took another bite of egg. Hoping his calm demeanor might reflect on her.

When she was silent rather than shrieking with rage, he was vaguely surprised. He reluctantly glanced up and found her eyes trapped somewhere between red and blue and glowing. Pretty silver hair falling over her black dress. And she held before her one hand, curled upward toward him. The flesh slowly peeled back to expose long black talons which ruptured from her fingertips and caused her hand to bleed down her wrist.

"If death is your wish, you might as well end it now rather than prolonging it." She suggested. Freakish gaze steady on him in obvious threat.

I see you Elsabet. He saw straight through this guise of intimidation. Where others might've shook with fear, he was actually surprised by her reaction rather than afraid.

"Death doesn't scare me Elsabet." He took another bite of breakfast, spearing a bit of sausage under her watchful gaze.

She was not soothed by those words.

"But it's obvious my carelessness upsets you. And if this is your way of persuading me to not be so heedless in my actions, because it affects you, it's duly noted."

He paused for another bite. "I'll be more conscientious in future."

There was a long silence. As if he'd stolen wind from her sails.

He felt the need to look up at her.

Her face was vulnerable with pain. And gaze blue, her hands dropped to her side as she looked at him. Raw emotion written over her.

"Do you play with me, Sebastian?" She whispered brokenly.

"No." He met her long look. Shaking his head solemnly. "I can see that for whatever reason, my actions distressed you. It's certainly not my wish. I want only for you to be happy."

She was speechless, lips parting as though she'd speak.

He waited but she said nothing further. He commenced eating. Avoiding the anguish in her eyes. Feeling remorse for all her goading.

I hadn't realized how deeply affected she was.

She turned in a swish of silver skirts and began walking from the room.

He resumed eating.

Only when she spoke, had he realized she'd paused in her trek.

"Sebastian?" She didn't turn around.

"Hmm?" He looked up with a mouthful of food. Eyes startled.

She gracefully peered over her shoulder. "Thank you."

He nodded.

She resumed walking. Nearly toward the door when he summoned her to stop.

"Elsabet," He heard her step cease. "I'll be gone this evening."

"You're always gone!" She spat bitterly. Walking out the entrance.

He leapt up to chase after her. Peering around the doorframe to call after her. "You could give me incentive to stay?"

She screeched like an enraged bird and the crystal chandelier above him rocked from the wave of her rage.

"Or not." He muttered. Grimacing.