Old Friendships

WaterRose, Meadow Mountain, Grier CountryRHYERS

Rhyers was wandering the halls of WaterRose to see if Sebastian was home. When he past Elsabet's chamber he saw the door open.

Her slim silhouette passed by the doorway one way, then back the other.

She was pacing furiously. Her crimson skirts rustled with every turn. She was rubbing her face ferociously.

Like she's trying to wash away something. Rhyers watched her from the doorway.

His head was swinging to keep her in view. His shoulder length black hair waved to his shoulders, brushing along them as he swiveled each direction. Today that hair was loose, framing his angular face. His silvery green eyes were intent on the agitated valkyrie.

"Elsabet?" His voice stopped her in her tracks.

She faced him. Blinking rapidly.

"Do you care to share?"

"One conversation does not make us friends."

"No, it doesn't." He straightened. "But we've had a mite more than that. And I had reason to believe you were coming to terms with the fact that I'm not your enemy."

"You're no ally."

He let her bitter words hang. Revealing that he wouldn't be chased off by a few acidic words. He waited patiently.

Finally, she confessed. "He and Calisto were close friends. Sebastian has been gone, went to check his ship. It has left me too much time to think."

"Calisto!" Rhyers stiffened. Missing half of what she said. "They were?"

She nodded, still pacing and not bothering to look up at him.

"He told you that? I didn't even know that."

"No." She said. Her gaze flicking to him. "You didn't know? In truth?"

"No! But that explains how she and Raese first met...Bast's bloody matchmaking...I should've guessed." He shook his head. Rolling his eyes heavenward.

"No. No!" She waved a finger at him. Arm rigid.

"What?"

"Do not smile in fondness regarding him, when I'm prepared to set him afire. It'll only antagonize me."

Right.

"Yes ma'am." He lowered his head in mock deference.

"Rhyers!"

"What?"

"Don't be patronizing by accommodating me. I know what you're doing!"

His lips twitched. "Perhaps I was..."

He leaned against the doorframe, intensely amused. "You know, those who know me well sometimes call me, Rhye. I would like it if you did."

"Well, I would not!"

He was quiet.

Finally, she sighed, relenting. "You're right."

"About which part?"

She resumed pacing. Head turning to keep him in view. "This isn't your fault. But you're the same creature as him."

"No, I am most certainly not. I prefer to think of myself as a singular being, thank you."

"You know well I wasn't being insulting." She gave him a reprimanding look. "It's very clear when I am!"

"Elsabet. Calm down. What has you so unsettled about them being friends?"