XII

Who would have thought of this? It’s been a few months and we’re back on track. We reopened our fishing business and we renovated our mansion. Now we’re just watching. 

‘I can barely believe it,’ I say.

Barnabas puts his arm around me. ‘I told you we’d make it.’

‘Mother and father would be so proud of you,’ I whisper.

‘They’d be proud of you too,’ he tells me. ‘They loved you just as much as they loved me.’ He pulls me close. ‘And I love you too.’

‘And I love you,’ I whisper. ‘My Barney.’

‘And you’re my girl,’ he whispers.

‘Y-your girl?’ I stammer.

‘Yes. I’ve been thinking…’ 

‘Not here,’ I interrupt before he can continue.

‘Oh, okay. Well, let’s go home.’ he pulls me along with him.

‘So, I’ve been thinking… Mother and father aren’t around to catch us anymore, and nobody knows who we actually are… Maybe we can go back to that time.’

‘What?’ I ask.

‘I want to be affectionate with you again.’ he puts his finger under my chin.

‘B-but… I’m not the one you love. Your true love is dead.’

‘Yes. But I… I think I love you more,’ he whispers.

‘Barney… Did you get a blow on your head? You jumped after her and chose her above me!’

‘I was distraught! And like I said back then… I didn’t want mother and father to find out that their two children were making love behind their backs.’

‘So you… You were in love with me anyway?’

‘Yes.’

‘I-I’ve been in love with you ever since I saw your bare chest,’ I stammer.

‘It’s still as strong as it used to be,’ he says while unbuttoning his blouse. He’s seducing me. My god. 

‘Don’t act like you don’t remember, Venus. We used to have so much fun.’ he takes my hand. 

‘Barney… What should you do with me? I was eighteen and you were twenty-eight! And now you’re…’

‘What does that matter? Technically I’m still only ten years older than you. I’ll stay twenty-nine forever.’

‘And I’ll stay twenty-two forever,’ I whisper.

He brings my face closer to his. 

‘Let me be your lover again,’ he whispers. ‘Let me do things with you again. Please.’

He’s still holding my hand and he puts it into his pants. I gasp when he places my hand on his dick.

‘Did you know that I can last way longer now that I’m a vampire?’ he whispers in my ear.

‘N-not so fast,’ I whisper.

‘No, no, of course not. Well, let’s see if you have already unlearned your amazing kissing skills.’ he gets even closer to me.

And then he kisses me. Soft, sweet, slowly. God, I missed those lips so much. 

‘No, you still have those lovely lips,’ he whispers. He kisses me again.

‘You’ve changed, though,’ he tells me after it. ‘My lord, look at you… why are your hair ends blue?’

‘Oh, that’s hair dye,’ I tell him.