XIV

My piano playing talent was known by everyone since that ball. Especially when we were in France for business, they always wanted me to play a song. Barnabas tried to teach me some words and sentences. He slowly succeeded in teaching me and I started to speak French too. Not fluently, but enough to have conversations about myself. 

But, if his “breakup” with me wasn’t enough, he also met someone else. On that same trip. And he couldn’t stop talking about her.

What I had been so afraid of was happening: he met someone else, and he totally forgot about me. Well, that last was not true, but you know what I mean.

My heart was totally crushed. But I didn’t want to cry over him, because then I’d betray myself and I’d have to tell him about my feelings for him. 

I wanted to hate his new girlfriend, but I couldn’t. She was too nice. I really liked her, but I was jealous. She would marry him, the man of her dreams and also MY dreams, and I’d be alone forever… 

I saw how in love Barnabas was. It only made him more handsome. 

Her name was Josette and she was everything I wasn’t. Sometimes, when I was all alone, I’d cry my heart out. 

He introduced her to me, which was pretty uncomfortable. 

‘This is my little sister, Venus,’ he told her.

‘Is your name really Venus? Nice name,’ she spoke.

I blushed. ‘Thank you.’ 

‘She’s a little shy,’ he told her. 

‘How much did you say she’s younger than you again?’

‘Ten years. She’s nineteen.’

‘Nice to meet you, Venus. I heard so much about you!’ she held out her hand and I shook it. Her hand felt warm and very soft. It somehow felt comforting.

We immediately hit it off and I saw that Barnabas was enjoying the two people he loved the most getting along so well.

One night, while Barnabas was in my room with me while I was playing the piano, he asked: ‘Venus?’

I stopped playing. ‘Hm?’

‘Do you mind that I have someone else?’

To my annoyance, I began to cry. 

Barnabas was with me within seconds and he hugged me. ‘Is it because of our…’

‘Yeah,’ I sobbed. ‘Did it mean anything to you?’

‘Ssh. Of course it did. But like I said, we can’t continue this!’ 

‘Why not? It was special to me, Barney.’

‘It was special to me too, my dear. But we can’t keep doing this! Hey, maybe you’ll find someone else too. Someone who gives you everything that I gave you.’

‘I don’t WANT someone else,’ I snapped.

He didn’t respond. He then spoke : ‘I really love you dearly, Venus, but we can’t.’

My heart broke into a million pieces. ‘Barney…’

‘I’m sorry, my dear.’

I kept drawing him and writing about him. Even when he was dead.

A/N: sorry this is so short but I don't want to fly through it that fast gahhhh