LI

After that night at the ball, I started having hallucinations. They became worse with time. Until I reached a breaking point.

I shot up in bed and looked around my room. Then, I heard whispering. It got louder and louder.

'You're worthless. You’re not worth it to be part of this family.' 

'You're terrible.'

'Ugly!'

'Freak!'

'Kill yourself… no one will miss you…'

I saw dark figures getting closer to me. 

'Go… go away!' I yelled.

'Why would we go away? You’re not worth it to live… you must die.'

'No,' I whispered. Then I yelled as loud as I could: 'Barnabas!'

'Barnabas can’t help you, Venus. No one can help you. You will kill yourself anyway. Barnabas only pretends to love you.'

'Barnabas! Help!' I yelled again.

'He won't help you… Just give up.'

'Barney! Help me! They’re taunting me again!'

'Barnabas is asleep, Venus.' They broke into disgusting laughter.

'Sad little bunny!' They laughed.

'Does the sad little bird need some tissues?'

'C'mon, Barnabas, hit her! Right on her nose!'

'Hit her, hit her, hit her!'

'Deal with it, Venus. You’re just a latecomer. Nobody wants you.'

'Shut up,' I whispered.

'Do you guys also hear someone squeak?' They laughed again.

'BARNABAS!' I yelled from the top of my lungs.

No response.

I ran to my door. 

'Don't do that! YOU’RE NOTHING! DO YOU UNDERSTAND WHAT WE'RE TELLING YOU?' the figures yelled.

'Leave me alone,' I whispered.

'Give up, Venus. You’ll never be more than a big disappointment. Go kill yourself.' 

'No,' I whispered.

'Do it,' they responded. 

'No…' but I rushed to my drawer and pulled out the dagger I had frequently used throughout the months.

'Good girl, now place it on your arm.' They commanded me.

I obeyed. 

'Now, cut into your wrist. Do it.'

I decided to make one more attempt.

'BARNABAS! THEY’RE TAUNTING ME AGAIN! HELP ME!' I screamed hysterically.

'Barnabas can’t help you… C'mon, now cut your arm. Then sit back and relax.'

'I'm not doing it,' I whispered.

'What? You’re even weaker than you look.'

My door opened.

'Venus,' I heard Barnabas say and then I felt his arms around me. He knew what was going on. 

I trembled and my shoulders shook uncontrollably. Sweat was gushing down my forehead. 

I squeaked and sobbed and collapsed in Barnabas' arms. He started to give me kisses everywhere in my face. He then handed me my teddy bear.

'You're sleeping with me tonight.' He put his arm around me and took me to his room. I was still breathing heavily. 

Barnabas gave me a blanket and told one of our servants to make me some tea. 

'Are you okay?' He whispered. 

I shook my head. Barnabas leaned in to give me a kiss. I let him. 

It was nice and warm in his bed. We were laying against each other. He stroked my hair and my back. I was fast asleep. I fell asleep with my teddy bear in my arms and my nose in his neck, which smelled like perfume.