01 | moving out

The moonlight shines down upon Layla as she lays on the roof of her mansion, owned by her parents who are now dead. That's what she's thinking about right now, that's all she can ever think about these days.

The way she became an orphan in a matter of seconds, changing her life for ever. Instead of the comfort of being wrapped in her mothers arms, Layla reverts to other ways now to calm down her senses, to get a few moments of peace.

But the thing is, she's been doing that her whole life. She's never known what it's like to have a mother who comforts you, who cares for you, who loves you.

She's never experienced that and now she definitely never will. However, even when her mother was alive, she knew there would be no chance of her changing. Layla would remain neglected all her life. No one cared, no one will.

It was the same case with her father. His only priorities were his money, his reputation and his loyalty to that pathetic boy, Harry Potter. "The Boy Who Lived"? Who is it that got to choose his title? Why does he get all this fame and support? He's nothing special.

Although her parents thought so. That's why they were part of the Order of the Phoenix. The secret rebellion to take down Lord Voldemort and his death eaters.

The Dark Lord is dead now though, and so are her parents. Killed in the Battle of Hogwarts. How? You may ask, well that is unknown. Nobody knows. They must have been burned alive or something, but their bodies weren't found.

As Layla lays on her rooftop, recounting all the chaotic events that have happened these past months, she lets out a sigh. She has to clear her mind. She has to forget about the past.

Tomorrow is the first day back at Hogwarts, to complete her final year at the School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. First though, she's got to pack her things. Because in about an hour, she's moving out of her home, and moving into her boyfriend's mansion.

***

Packing her things was swift, with a flick of her wand, all her possessions were transferred and teleported to her boyfriend's house.

Suddenly, there's a knock at the door and with a sigh, Layla opens the door to find her boyfriend standing before her with a huge grin and a bouquet of flowers.

"Layla!" He exclaims, as she stands there awkwardly with a nervous laugh.

"Hey Ryle, who are these flowers for?"

"You of course, silly." He says and gives her a hug.

"They're beautiful, thank you Ryle." She says, taking them off of him.

"Right, you ready to go?" He asks.

"Yep. More than ever." The truth was, she couldn't wait to leave that wretched home. It wasn't because it wasn't grand enough, that she knew it was. One of the biggest in her area. It was the memories and torment she was put through, each and everyday by her parents.

He held out his hand and she took it. With that, the two of them walked away from her mansion and out of the front gate. Ryle, being nearly as rich as Layla's family, also owned a grand mansion, so it wasn't really as if Layla would be leaving her old lifestyle behind.

As well as this, Ryle's house being only five minutes away from hers, everyday after tuition Layla would meet up with her childhood best friend Ryle, and just hangout doing whatever. So nothing was really changing, she'd only be living with his family now.

And it seemed like it would remain like that for sometime, because everyday since they were babies, each of their parents had already planned that they'd be getting married to each other, both Ryle and Layla knew this too.

So one day after tuition, Ryle asked Layla to be his girlfriend. It was sweet really. It happened on the balcony of his mansion, a candlelit dinner. How romantic.

"So," Ryle said, attempting to hold Layla's hand which she swiftly moved away. "How do you feel?"

"Excited, nervous... scared your parents won't like me."

Layla felt none of these things. She couldn't care less.

"Don't be silly. My parents have known you since you were little, they already love you." He laughs. "Probably more than me!"

"Yeah, you right. They do love me more than you." She says with a wink and he rolls his eyes, shoving her slightly as they walk along the path to Ryle's home.

"Looks like we're here." He sighs, as they both stand in front of Ryle's grand mansion. Layla holds onto her boyfriend's hand and they make their way in, Layla immediately taking in the smell of food cooking when they enter.

"Well look who it is, my favourite Lopez!" Ryle's father suddenly says as he makes an appearance.

Of course I'm his favourite. I'm the only Lopez left alive.

"Mr Stokes, nice to see you again."

After the greetings and welcomes, Layla heads up to her bedroom, which Ryle shows her. It's right beside Ryle's, with a door connecting the couple's rooms. "How lovely!" Layla says with a smile on her face.

Although she wasn't necessarily happy. She felt like her privacy would constantly be invaded, knowing how clingy Ryle is. But it's better than nothing!

As soon as Layla takes a step into her room, her eyes glisten at the sight of all her possessions in the correct places of her new bedroom, just the way she wanted it arranged.

"So, what do you think?" Ryle asks.

"This is amazing."