7. New toy

"Hudson!" I exclaim as we walk out of the chemistry block on campus

"Hudson!" I exclaim as we walk out of the chemistry block on campus. He looks down at me sheepishly, but I can't contain the broad smile of amusement on my face as I shake my head at him, "I can't believe you just did that!"

We share a look, and both burst out laughing, not being able to contain it any longer.

"You think I was going to let you be with that creep Monaro alone?" Hudson scoffs as he grins down at me, both of us continuing our walk out of campus.

I let out a breath, not denying his claims as I think back to Professor Monaro. I shrug at Hudson, glancing up at him briefly, "Well, I appreciate it. Thank you, but you seriously didn't have too." I reassure him.

He only shakes his head at me and stops outside the main campus, blowing out a breath like he was nervous before turning to me, "Do you want to grab a late lunch with me?" He asks, and I just stare at him open mouthed, "I mean, we both finished classes today, so I thought..." He continues, scratching the back of his head.

I smile at him tightly, wiping my suddenly clammy hands on my pants, "That sounds great Hudson, but I have work. I'm sorry." I say to him, and his expression drops slightly.

"At that bakery?" He asks, taking a protective step towards me.

I startle slightly and take my own step backwards, "Uh yeah. I'm late actually so..." I tell him, smiling tightly as I ready myself to leave.

I hadn't known Hudson for that long – and I sometimes just felt he was overly intense. Why does he care so much about where I work? He doesn't even know me.

Before I can step away from Hudson he stops me again, inserting his large body in my pathway, "Romani, please just listen. Those guys who run the bakery? Bad people. The people they have connections with? Even worse." Hudson says cryptically, making me frown deeply.

I hold up my hand and shake my head to cut him off, "Look Hudson, I appreciate all your doing for me, but I'm there to work. I need the money, I don't have the luxury of picking and choosing my very limited job options, and if I want to work for a psychopath, just to put food on my table, then so be it." I finish my mini rant and brush right past him.

Hudson just stares after me with a gobsmacked expression, but lets me go, his light eyes obviously hiding something from me.

I, on the other hand, was now actually late for work, so I speed walked down the street and made it to the bakery. 10 minutes late.

I opened the door hurriedly to find River behind the counter, peering at me curiously as I look down to the floor in shame.

"Sorry I'm late." I tell him, shuffling round the counter and setting down my tote bag.

I organise myself, hoping River would get the message that I was okay to start working, alone, but his presence only seemed to grow larger behind me.