17. Don't corrupt her

I suck in a deep breath as I put my phone back down on my bed and sneak a look at Valentine

He's looking at his own phone as he stays seated on the sofa, oblivious to the message River had just sent me.

River poisoned the four men who ganged up on us that night. Poisoned- oh my god.

I spin to face Valentine to distract myself form the morbid information, "You can use my shower if you'd like." I tell and he smiles at me gratefully. "There are towels and soaps in there already." I smile a little shyly.

Valentine smirks at me knowingly as he gets up from the sofa to go into the bathroom, "Thank you."

As soon as the door to the bathroom closes, I spin again and snatch my phone from my bed, settling beside baby.

I hit River's number and bring the phone to my ear. It picks up almost immediately.

"Yes?" River's smug tone filters through the phone and I hold back a scoff.

"River don't tell me you poisoned those men?" I speak in a hushed tone, hearing the water of my shower only a wall over.

Rivers responding voice sounds entirely bored and uninterested, "And if I did?"

My mouth gapes, "River are you crazy?" I hiss. All I get in response is a resounding snort of amusement.

I close my eyes, frustrated as I mutter into the phone, "Oh my god..."

"Listen, you don't have to worry about that. What you do have to worry about is living with Slater." He says and my eyes snap open again.

"How do you know about that?" I ask him.

"Valentine texted us about what happened. Safe to say Slater isn't pleased." He responds, voice still sounding as if he'd rather be anywhere else.

I groan into the phone, "Valentine is making me, I'd rather just stay in my apartment and deadbolt the door."

"Hm. A sick part of me is inclined to say I'm happy someone broke in. Gives me the excuse for you to come running straight into my arms." I can now hear the slight smirk in his voice, and I narrow my eyes.

"What part of you isn't sick?" I retort back and he sucks in a breath.

"Smartass." He responds begrudgingly.

I grin, putting on a sweeter voice, "What happened to clever girl?" I tease.

"Fucking hell." He mutters before the phone hangs up.

I toss the phone back on the bed and rest my head in my hands. I would just have to accept the boys' more violent lifestyle; it wasn't my business. Kind of.

The door to the bathroom opening makes me jump, and I look up to see a dressed Valentine staring at me disapprovingly.

His hair is still damp, hanging in his face and over his eyes. It's only now I clock how much he looks like River. "Pack, now." He tells me threateningly and I roll my eyes but do as he says.