Chapter 21

"I'll have the two-egg omelet with mushrooms and cheese, hash browns, rye toast, and coffee," Clarke said. "And can I get that with the swiss cheese and cheddar? And make the hash browns crispy with onions, run the toast through twice, cause I like it well-done. Oh, and raspberry jam if you have it." The three girls were at Grounders Cafe for breakfast.

Raven looked at Clarke, "Jesus Christ Meg Ryan, you done?" She turned back to the waitress, "Ditto for me," Raven said as she closed the menu. "Minus the raspberry jam, cause that's disgusting. I'll take grape jelly."

O contemplated the selections. "How about two eggs over easy, white toast, hash browns and bacon. And a serendipitous cup of coffee."

"Can coffee be serendipitous?" Raven asked.

"It can when it's the word of the day," O replied. Raven high fived her.

"You still doing that?" Clarke asked, as she completed the table high five.

"Absolutely, I think it's working, don't you babe?" she asked Raven.

"Sure hon, except for calling my nipples nip nips last night."

"It's a slow process."

"And a buzz kill."

"So, what's happening with you girls?" Clarke asked as the waitress came back with their coffees.

"Not much, how about you? How's Phil?" Raven asked.

Clarke gave her a look. "Really?"

Raven just shrugged. She was digging the Phil thing.

"You look tired," O said to Clarke.

"I'm not sleeping very well. Weird dreams."

Raven looked at her, "Weird dreams?"

"What are you dreaming about?" O asked.

"The wedding. And other things." Clarke winced as that last part slipped out.

"What other things?"

"Nothing, forget it, just the wedding." Clarke was not giving up that Lexa was a recurring figure in her dreams, and she certainly wasn't giving up what was going on in those dreams.  How a woman she barely knows or sees could play such a prominent role in her subconscious was beyond her. She could barely explain it to herself, let alone explain it to her two best girlfriends. And, it would only be more ammunition for Raven to tell her to 'hit that.' "I'm just stressing over stuff, as usual. My rotations are almost over, then I can get on with my life."

"Remember when you used to draw in college? You called it your rebellious phase," Raven said. "You were really good you know."

"I know, I used to love to draw and paint." Clarke took up drawing again in college, after getting out from under her parent's influence. Her pictures littered the walls of their dorm room.

"So, what happened?"

"Life happened, you can't make a career out of drawing."

"Some people do, they're called artists."

"You mean starving artists. Don't forget that part."

"Ah, but you're marrying a rich doctor, so you won't starve," Raven said. 

They all turned to look outside as a woman on a motorcycle pulled up in front of the cafe. The three of them watched as she got off her bike and took off her helmet.

"Holy shit, it's Lexa. She has a bike?" O asked. "Why didn't we know this?"

When Lexa came through the door Octavia called out to her and waved her over. O was under strict orders to make sure that Clarke thought this appearance by Lexa was pure happenstance. Lexa got a cup of coffee at the counter, pulled up a chair, and sat down.