Prologue 2

To Lexa's delight, Clarke did come back to visit her the next day after her surgery.

"Show her what you brought her Clarke," Abby said, nudging her forward. "Now remember, she's not allowed to talk, her throat's sore."

Lexa noticed that Clarke had some sort of book in her hands.

"I made this for you Lexi, your own picture book." Clarke showed Lexa her book. It had a picture of a doctor in a doctor's coat on the cover.

"That's my mom," Clarke said, pointing to the picture.

Abby lifted Clarke and put her in bed beside Lexa. She scooted up next to Lexa and began turning the pages in her book.

"This is you." Clarke showed Lexa a picture of a little girl with long dark hair and a bandage around her throat. "That's your sore throat, and that's your mommy."

Lexa smiled at her and pointed to a picture and pointed at Clarke.

"Yeah, that's me and that's you. We're watching TV, like we did yesterday. I love to draw."

Lexa turned to last page and there was a picture of heart, with 'lexi and clarke forever' written in the middle of it. Lexa pointed at the heart and smiled, showing her mom.

Alycia sidled up next to Abby. "They're adorable together."

"Yeah, they are. When Clarke got home last night she was determined to make something for Lexa, to make her feel better." Abby said while looking at the two girls.

"My god, that's sweet," Emily said. She looked over at the two little girls sitting in bed, one blonde, one brunette, bending their heads together as they read through the book.

"I have to continue on my rounds, could I leave Clarke here again? They seem to be enjoying themselves." Abby asked hopeful.

"Oh god yes, we'll keep our eye on her." Alycia responded quickly knowing Lexa and Clarke will enjoy each other's company.

Abby squeezed Emily's arm, "Thanks."

The girls spent another afternoon together eating ice cream and drawing in the new picture book that Clarke made. Abby came back to collect Clarke around five. "We ready to go Clarke?"

"Do we have to? Lexi can't talk yet, and I have to stay here until she can talk." Clarke pleaded.

"We have to get home, your dad is taking us out to dinner tonight. C'mon, we can't keep him waiting." Abby said convincing Clarke to go home.

Clarke hugged Lexa and swung her legs over the side of her hospital bed, slipping down to put her feet firmly on the floor. She turned and waved as her mom took her hand to lead her away. As they were walking out the door she turned her face up to her mom,

"Mommy, can I live with Lexi when we're grown-ups?" Clarke asked so innocent.

"Oh honey, you don't live with girls when you grow up, you live with boys, like how daddy and I live together..." Abby said sternly.

Lexa was disappointed when she got discharged the following day. She cried as her mom took her out to the car, because she wanted her friend Clarke to come home with her. For weeks she asked her mom when Clarke was going to come visit. Alycia knew she wouldn't see Clarke again, but she had a hard time telling her daughter that.

"Honey, sometimes things hurt us. Like how you feel because Clarke hasn't come to visit. And when things hurt, we should try and put them away, we should tuck them away somewhere, like in a box, and try not to think about them again." Alycia tried to explain not hurting her daughter way too much.

So, Lexa tried to put away her hurt. She finally stopped asking about Clarke. She put the picture book that Clarke made her in her drawer and stopped looking at it every night. She boxed away her feelings and her hurt. Soon, other books went into her drawer, pushing Clarke's further and further away from her vision, and further and further away from her mind.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

End of Prologue