Chapter 65

"Hey you." Clarke walked over to her, reached out and touched the bandage that was on Lexa's left temple.

"What are you doing here?"

"Bellamy called me."

"Oh, okay."

"How do you feel?" Clarke grabbed Lexa's wrist and took her pulse, just because she needed to keep touching her.

"I've got a headache, but I think I'll live," she said with a chuckle. "The van is totaled though. Thank god I didn't have any dogs in it."

Clarke was satisfied with Lexa's heart rate and went to look at her chart, noting who the physician on duty was. Dr. Natting. He was good. "You have a concussion."

"So they tell me. They gave me something for the headache, so hopefully that goes away soon."

"Nothing else hurts?"

"My shoulder is sore from the seat belt cutting into me. I guess I'll feel more tomorrow."

"Well, I'm gonna stay here with you, keep an eye on you."

"Clarke, that's really sweet, but totally unnecessary. I'm sure you've got better things to do on a Saturday night than hang in a hospital with a cranky patient."

"I don't, so you're stuck with me. And besides, I like cranky patients. They're my jam."

"Oh, your jam, huh?"

Clarke smiled sweetly at her. "Yes."

The nurses came in to move Lexa to a room on the third floor. She signed admittance paperwork and they wheeled her away, Clarke right by her side the whole time. When they had Lexa settled, the nurses left, and Clarke pulled a chair over to Lexa's bedside.

"Clarke, please, you don't have to be here."

"I wanna be. Is that okay?"

"Sure. I just don't want you to feel like you have to though."

"I don't feel that way. I wanna be here. You have no idea how much I wanna be here."

"What?" Lexa wasn't sure she heard Clarke's last sentence correctly.

"Nothing."

Before Lexa could press Clarke on what she meant, Dr. Natting came in to the room. He showed mild surprise upon seeing Clarke. "Dr. Griffin, how are you?"

"Hey Tom, I'm good, how are you?"

"I'm doing great." He turned towards Lexa. "How's our patient?" he said, taking his light and checking Lexa's pupils.

"I feel great, I really don't think I have to stay overnight," Lexa answered.

"Well, it's precautionary," he stated.

"Are you gonna be waking me up every fifteen minutes? Don't they do that with concussions?"

"No, they used to do that, but not anymore, at least not with adults."

Clarke spoke up, "She'll be fine, because I'll be with her the entire time." She reached out and patted Lexa's arm.

"Good, my shift is done in about an hour."

"I'll take over. Just tell the nurses."

Lexa groaned. "I hope you're better at doctoring than you were at paintballing."

"Very funny." Clarke reached out and lightly smacked Lexa's bare arm.

Dr. Natting laughed. "You play paintball, Clarke?"

"I did once."

"Define play, Doctor," Lexa said.

Clarke gave Lexa's arm another soft, playful slap. "Shut up, I was good."