Chapter 28

Meanwhile, back in the hospital room, Maya was typing furiously on her phone.
Maya: I think I found someone for Lex
Raven: I have someone too.
Maya: she's perfect, but there's one little catch
Raven: lay it on me sister
Maya: she's engaged.
Raven: who you got???
Maya: here name is clarke
Raven: fuck! mine too!
Maya: really? what are the odds, it's such an odd name.
Raven: earth to maya, earth to maya, i think we've got the same fish on the hook.
Maya: oh! really? doctor clarke?
Raven: ya, dude, she's my bestie!
Maya: well, she's perfect. except for the engaged thing
Raven: I'm working on that. let operation popcorn commence.
Maya: popcorn?
Raven: just go with it.

After throwing her gloves and mask into the proper waste bins, Clarke came out of the operating room and got a glass of water. Another successful surgery. Aden did great and was moved to recovery. She saw Sue at the nursing station, "Another success, Sue," Clarke said as she leaned her elbows on the counter.

"That the appendectomy?"

"Yep."

"Your fan club is in the waiting room."

"What do you mean?"

"I think they're all in love with you. I was like a fly on the wall when you left the room earlier. Surprised your ears didn't burn and fall off. You were quite the topic of conversation."

"Oooh. Do tell."

Sue looked around and leaned closer to Clarke. "Well, seems they all wanted to set you up with the woman that was in there with them."

"You mean Lexa? Ha! She thinks I'm an idiot, and she hates me, so I doubt she took that well."

"I didn't get that impression."

"Why, what did she say?"

"She said something about you being out of her league, like she wasn't good enough for you or something."

"Her? Outta my league? Oh, that's rich. She thinks I'm a tightwad. And a snob. And a moron when it comes to dogs. And she hates cats. So, I'm not sure why she would say something like that. You probably heard that wrong."

"Maybe I did, maybe I didn't."

"I'll go down and see them now."

She made her way to the waiting room to give the good news of the successful surgery. The first person she saw was Lexa, and her heart sped up a little bit. Sue's words bounced around in her head. Lexa thought she was out of her league? No. Sue's hearing was clearly going. A certain dream sequence shot through her brain, a bathtub with bubbles, and a sudden rush of heat rolled through her, taking her breath away. Good lord this woman did things to her. Lexa looked up when Clarke came in, and they shared a look, green met blue, and a small flash of something passed between them, another spark of sorts, just like after the motorcycle ride. She saw Lexa look away, a little disconcerted. Maya and Jasper jumped up when they saw Clarke.

"Hey guys, he did great. No complications. They just took him to recovery, so give it about an hour and he'll probably start waking up, then you can go in and see him."

"Thank god," Maya said. She came over and gave Clarke a big hug. "Thank you for taking care of him, Dr. Griffin."

"Clarke, please. Doctor Griffin is my mom."

Lexa had a feeling of déjà vu, again, as something tickled in the back of her brain, but she couldn't get a handle on it. It was like trying to look through a fog. Like seeing an outline, but nothing was clearly defined. This had happened a couple times now, which was strange. She'd never had déjà before.

"I meant Clarke," Maya said shyly.

Jasper was next, he hugged Clarke also, "Yeah, thank you Clarke."

Lexa got up, not knowing if she should give Clarke a hug or not. She decided against it. Safer to keep her as a verbal adversary. Best to keep her distance.

"You need to come over for dinner as a thank you. Maya is a wonderful cook," Jasper said.

"Oh my god, yes, please say you'll come to dinner. Aden would be so thrilled," Maya gushed.

"Well, drop me a line, I'd love to," Clarke said. She glanced over at Lexa and gave her a little smile. She turned her attention back to the Jordan's. "Well, I have to start my rounds. He'll stay overnight tonight, but probably get discharged tomorrow. I'll check in on him throughout the rest of the evening, so I'll probably be seeing you later." Clarke started to walk away and then turned around, "Oh, and someone will come get you when he's awake. Okay?"

"Got it," Jasper replied.

As they watched her walk away, Maya thumped Lexa on the shoulder, "Why didn't you hug her? We were all hugging her. We set you up."

"What? I'm not hugging her."

"Damn Woods, pretty dense of you not to jump on the hug bandwagon."

"I don't need to hug her. I've already slow danced with her."

"What?  Why are you just telling us now? When did that happen?" Maya asked incredulously.

"It was a few weeks ago. It was harmless. She was at the bar, and someone was hitting on her, and I sorta rescued her."

"You rescued her? Like a knight in shining armor?"

Lexa rolled her eyes, "Oh lord Jesus, no, not like that, miss hopeless romantic."

Jasper put his arm around his wife, "Don't ever change, honey." He gave her a kiss on the cheek.

"How about we talk about something else." Lexa thought it best to get Clarke off everyone's mind, including her own. She hoped she could forget charming Clarke, because charming Clarke was dangerous. Give her rude Clarke any day.

Please.

----------------------------------------

Chapter 28