Chapter 89

Later that night, Lexa drained a fourth beer and called the waitress over to order another. Costia, Anya, and Luna sat around the table with her. It was Saturday night and they were at the bar. She was reverse celebrating. It was officially eight weeks since Clarke left. Give or take a day or two. Or three. Reverse celebrating was not an exact science.

The waitress came over and took Lexa's drink order.

Anya raised her eyebrows. "How many is that?"

Lexa shrugged. "I lost count."

"That's gonna be your fifth," Luna observed. "You better call an Uber."

Costia spoke up, "No, I drove us here. We'll get home okay."

Lexa nodded. "What she said." She knew five was too many. She could feel her head swimming. Sloshing really. She rarely drank anymore. Not this much. Not since college. Lexa felt like she was due for a nice hangover though, what with all the emotional strain in her life right now. Nothing like having your heart pulverized into a million teeny, tiny pieces to generate a little self-pity bender.

A slow song came on and Costia stood up, putting a hand out to Lexa. "C'mon you, dance with me."

Lexa got up, took the offered hand, and headed onto the dance floor.

"I'm worried about her," Anya said.

Luna pursed her lips. "She'll snap out of it. Give her some time."

"I hope so."

"There's Raven and O." Luna waved at the two women, who made their way over to the table.

All four hugged hello and sat down.

"I thought Lexa was gonna be here?" Raven asked.

Anya cleared her throat and nodded in the general direction of the dance floor.

Raven spotted Lexa and Costia cozying it up in a tight embrace, swaying to the slow beat. "What the fuck is that about? Are they getting back together?"

"I didn't think so. But. Things look a little steamier than usual," Luna observed.

"How's Clarke?" Anya asked.

Raven frowned. "Depressed as shit. Losing the baby hit her hard. How's Lexa?"

"Same."

"Fuck! They were perfect together."

"No shit," Anya groused.

"There's gotta be a way to get them back together." Raven looked hopefully at Luna. "Boss? What can we do?"

Luna wrapped an arm around Raven's neck and pulled her close, planting one on her temple. "I don't know what we can do. Sometimes you just have to let things play out. Sorry bud."

Raven was crestfallen. Not the answer she wanted. "I was kinda hoping you would volunteer to kidnap them and throw them in a room together."

"That's a felony, dude."

O rubbed Raven's thigh. "All we can do is pop some popcorn and pray."

Raven slouched in her chair, not satisfied with either suggestion. "I miss Clexa."

Lexa wrapped her arms around Costia's waist, who in turn had her arms around Lexa's neck.

"You okay, sport?" Costia asked.

"I'm fine."

Costia sighed and pushed her body closer to Lexa's, hips meeting hips. Her lips whispered over Lexa's neck.

Lexa sensed in the past week or so that Costia might be angling for a return to their previous status of friends with benefits. There'd been little signals-longing looks, glances, touches-and Lexa hadn't stopped them or addressed them. She inhaled Costia's perfume and tried to turn it into Clarke's. Her olfactory nerves knew the difference, however.