Chapter 5

When Lexa got back to the farm, she pulled around back to unload the dogs she had picked up.

Anya opened the door to greet her. "Hey, did they say when they're dropping off that food delivery? The Hammond's were looking for a bag."

Lexa started to take the dogs out individually. "Supposedly this afternoon."

Anya grabbed the first one and took him over to the play area. "Incoming," she yelled to the two girls out in the fenced area. She went back and saw Oliver, "Who's this?"

"New client, well, at least for this week."

"Oh yeah, cool, how'd you get them?"

"Raven and Octavia recommended us."

"Awe man, that's nice of them." She looked under the hood to confirm the sex, "What's his name?"

"This is Oliver. The chick who owns him didn't even know his name."

"What? How do you not know your dog's name?"

"Right? Who knows."

"Damn, that's harsh, what did she say? There's the dog?"

Lexa laughed, "Yeah, something like that. She's some sort of doctor, rich I'm sure. Big house."

"Snobby?"

"At first blush, yeah."

"Guess it doesn't matter, as long as she pays."

Lexa and Anya started the business almost eight years ago, when they were both twenty-six. At the time, they were a couple. Barely. Quickly realizing they were more suited to be friends, they went from romantic partners to business partners.

They catered to the more well-to-do dog owners in Seattle, knowing that people would pay good money to have their dogs taken care of. Lexa had been walking dogs since she was fourteen, starting her own little business to help put food on the table.

She started walking her neighbor's dog, and word of mouth helped grow her clientele. She loved dogs, but they couldn't afford to have one, so walking them was the next best thing. Her mom worked long, hard hours, her father she never met.

Lexa was the product of a one night stand. They had money enough for food and second-hand clothes, but that was it. Nevertheless, they were happy together, and Lexa had been loved fiercely by her mother.

Her mom wanted her to have a better life, wanted her to get her college degree, and since Lexa was quite an athlete, her mom encouraged her to join the sports teams in high school, with the hopes of an athletic scholarship. Their dreams were realized when she was offered a free ride to the University of Oregon for basketball.

Lexa graduated with honors with a business management degree. She knew what type of business she wanted to start. There was money to be made in the pet industry, so while in college, when it wasn't basketball season, she volunteered at various veterinarian offices learning some basics in animal care. She learned to give shots, clip nails, and take care of various superficial wounds, all good knowledge to have if you owned a boarding kennel.

"Yo, Ontari, new dog, keep your eye on him," Lexa shouted to one of her employees. The dogs ran in a pack around about a ten acre space. They had people in the yard with them to make sure everyone behaved.

Each woman in the yard drove their own van and did their own pick-ups, brought them back to the farm and set them loose to play all day outside. The number of dogs per van varied, depending on the day of the week, and could range anywhere from five to fifteen dogs.

"Uncle Gus called, he said he would be by tonight to fix that light in the kennel," Anya said as they both looked over the pack of dogs.

Lexa's Uncle Gus was her mom's big brother. He was retired now but loved to come by and do handyman work for kennel. Mostly he just putzed around, not having any other hobbies to keep him busy. Anya and Lexa welcomed him, because it meant less work for them and saved them money on repairs. All he asked for was dinner, and Lexa was happy to oblige him.