Chapter 3

Makena's POV

"I knew they were alive, I fucking knew it." I mumble to myself excitedly. I need to find a way to Nassau and soon. They sooner I can get to them, the faster we can find a way to go home without immediately getting sent to jail.

I grab my leftover mango and walk around the market. I watch the crowd as people pass each other, looking for someone to pickpocket. I find a young girl who looks like she doesn't belong, probably a tourist. I notice that her wallet is hanging out of her purse a little, and make my way over. I bump into her, causing her to almost fall.

" Oh my god, I'm so sorry." I say, catching her before she hits the ground with one hand as my other grabs her wallet and puts it in my pocket.

" It's okay, are you alright?" She asks me, steadying herself.

" Yeah, are you alright?" I ask, taking my hands off of her.

" Yeah, I'm fine." She answers, fixing her dress.

" Alright, well, again I'm so sorry, you have a lovely day." I say, walking away.

" Have a good day, she replies, walking opposite of me.

I wander through town, looking for the nearest payphone, this seems like the kind of place that would still have payphones. I keep walking for two blocks before I find one. It's covered in grime and dirt but it'll do what I need it too. I put the four quarters nessasary into the phone.

" Please, don't let me get an STD from this." I mutter to myself as I pick up the phone and dial the only phone number I have memorized.

The line rings and the anxiety builds up.

" Answer, come on, man." I mutter, as the line rings and rings.

" Fucking christ, man, answer your phone." I say angrily.

JJ's POV

I feel my phone buzzing from underneath me as I lay on the pullout couch in the Chateau.

I look at the caller ID and it says SPAM LIKELY, and the location is Nicholls Town, Bahama's.

" I don't know anyone from Nicholl's Town." I mutter to myself as I silence my phone, laying it next to me.

Makena's POV

" C'mon, JJ! All that time you spend on your phone, you're gonna tell me that you don't see that someone's calling you!" I yell, slamming the phone down on the stand as the line goes dead.

I put the last four quarters in and dial his number again, putting the phone next to my ear once again.

" Please, please answer." I mumble desperately.

The line continues to ring, eventually going dead from no one answering.

" FUCK!" I scream, tears starting to run down my face as I smash the phone onto it's holder.

FUCK ME RIGHT, WHY SHOULD ANYTHING GO MY WAY. I"M STRANDED ON THIS FUCKING ISLAND, I'M WANTED FOR A MURDER I DIDN'T COMMIT, AND EVERYONE I LOVE THINKS THAT I'M DEAD! GOD FUCKING DAMNNIT.

I storm away, trying to control my breathing even though all I wanna do is scream and hit something.

I make my way to a secluded part of the beach and sit down in the sand. I peel open my second mango and take a bite into it when I see something move close to me. I look to my right and see a medium sized, beige and brown, street dog sit next to me, looking at my me with big puppy eyes, practically begging for a piece of my mango.

" Do you want some?" I ask, as I break off a piece of my mango, holding it out for the dog to have. He hesistantly moves towards me, but doesn't take it out of my hand. I place it down on the sand, and he takes the piece, moving back to his original spot before eating it.