42. Closer

I wrote more than 40 chapters just for this plotline to come up. This is an important arc for MaNan and I want it to come perfectly. I'm not that satisfied with my skills yet but again "Done is better than perfect", and so finally I'm posting this 12K words of long chapter after a lot of struggle.

I genuinely hope you all like it, do comment as they let me know your views and motivate me a lot. Thanks🙂

***********

Manik looked blank as if his world had just stopped, "Dr. Rajeev just told me my medical license got canceled", he blurted out as his face became pale, and looked like he is going to get sick.

After hearing the answer, Nandini got flabbergasted as she couldn't believe what he just said, "W-what", she stuttered, not asking him to repeat, she just said it out in disbelief.

And as her slow mind processed the words he just said and what do they mean, she ranted in shock, "M-Manik, how can they cancel your license just like that? Not even suspension or warning!! Like how?? Also on what basis?" she shouted.

She rained the questions on him in her puzzlement and disbelief, it didn't make sense. How can they even cancel his license just like that? How does that even work? 

There should be a proper reason, investigation, warning and in the worst case, suspension. Then cancellation. But no. Just in one night, how can they make this huge decision? 

The career he worked his ass off day and night, built in years, how can they just end in one night?

And out of all people, it's him. The Dr. Manik Malhotra, we are talking about, he is the most talented and hardworking doctor. This doesn't make any sense!

But to her confusion and busy thoughts, Manik didn't say anything in return. He is silent. Dead silent. Their house is filled with dreadful silence. 

Nandini saw her lover flopping down on the sofa like a lifeless body and he didn't let a word out.

His eyes looked soulless, it was like he became a machine that got broken.

Manik didn't even look up at her as he said, "Nandini, honestly, my mind went blank when he said my license got canceled and I didn't hear a word after that", the older replied, looking dazed as he got his hands on the television remote, turned it on and switched to the news channels immediately. And the noise from the speakers took over the unbearable silence.

Nandini took her mobile out from the bag and called the chief nurse, once the call is answered, she didn't care for the greetings. "Navya, what's happening?", she asked hurriedly, walking to and fro.

"How can they even do this to him?" her voice came harsh as Nandini complained even though she didn't mean it.

There was a tired sigh from another side, "Nandu, calm down, even I'm in shock. I just got to know from the chairman, that apparently there is a case filed against Dr. Manik. Organ trafficking and medical malpractice, that patient's family also sued him", Navya explained.

The younger couldn't speak after hearing what the chief nurse just said. Illegal organs selling? Malpractices? Like what even? 

She took a breath to calm herself, "But Navya, if there is a case, an investigation has to be done, right? How can they cancel his license just like that without any notice or warning?"

"I don't know the details, Nandini. They submitted the proofs already and I have no idea when all of this happened", the head nurse replied as she herself is in half disbelief and half shocked.

Navya has never seen something like this in her whole career and she knows by heart that Dr. Manik is not that kind of person. But again this is not something Navya can handle, this is way out of her hands.