44. Behind my eyes

All night Nandini didn't sleep for a second, she couldn't, her brain refused to shut down. 

Manik had a heartwrenching breakdown at the dinner, at the birthday surprise she planned for him. 

In the end, Nandini failed to wish him, she failed to give him the ring, she failed to surprise him, she failed to make him happy, she failed to see his pain, she failed...

And all she could do was hold him tight as he let out his harsh feelings, the words that pierced through her heart like a sharp blade. It hurt. But seeing him who is always been strong, all broken and hurt, crumbling in her arms hurt her even more.

Manik blacked out at some point due to all of that alcohol and the emotional turmoil he just went through, maybe it was her first time, facing his raw emotions this closely. He never ever showed her this side of him, it's hidden and she thought it doesn't exist. 

But whom is she kidding, of course, he is hurt and Manik does have his own demons.

With the hotel manager's and others' help, Nandini managed to get her fiance onto the passenger seat in her car and secured him with the seat belt before she started driving. All the while, Manik was sleeping, passed out after pouring his heart out.

It was a task to get him to their apartment, luckily it's a luxury residency, so there is only one flat per floor. That gave them enough privacy as she dragged him and somehow managed his weight on her shoulder, while he drowsily obeyed her instructions with no fight.

Once she got him on the bed, Manik laid on the bed, back to sleep immediately like a toddler. 

And Nandini removed his shoes, the coat he is wearing with so much struggle because during these few weeks, her man did gained extra muscle on him due to all of that excess time in the gym. She got a damp towel and cleaned his face and his hands, even then he didn't budged.

Nandini dumbly stared at his face for a moment, he is snoring a little with his hair all messed up. 

Earlier Manik smashed an alcohol bottle and a glass in his fury, the pieces might be gotten him as she can see one or two cuts around his fingers. 

Nandini quickly got the first aid box, cleaned the older's wounds with antiseptic liquid, and then covered them securely with band-aids. Still, he didn't make any movements.

He is sleeping so deeply, a minute later, Manik turned sidewards, still, his eyes closed but his hands searching for something or someone. Nandini saw a visible pout appear on his face, as his hands searched for her in his sleep, to hold her close to him, like a habit.

Nandini smiled lovingly as she kept her pillow near his hands and hugging the pillow tight, he went back to his deep slumber.

She didn't have the guts to go and lay beside him, it looks very comforting but she felt that so unbearable right now. So, she just sat on the chair there, next to their balcony, and through the moonlight, she saw him, sleeping peacefully.

Tears danced in her eyes as Nandini looked at him, he is in so much pain and all this time, hiding it perfectly, he pretended like everything is fine. 

For her sake. 

And like a fool, she believed his act, she thought he is alright. She is so selfish. Manik is always been with her since they started dating, he never hurt her, not intentionally. He is the one who picked her up when she had her lows.

This is one of the roughest patches that Manik is going through in his life and she knows it, but instead of focusing on him, she planned a surprise dinner and whatnot. How stupid of her!