27. Lighting up your world

Happy Diwali :)

Thanks for the votes & comments, means a lot. Do continue to appreciate :)))

*********

There was a light knock on her door, "Dr. Nandini, you have five minutes", Dhruv who is her assistant surgeon reminded her about the surgery they scheduled for this today morning.

Nandini opened her eyes as she heard, she is just taking a short nap on the couch in her room. "Okay", after hearing her response, Dhruv left and Nandini stood up as she checked her phone, it's 7 AM.

After closing the door behind her, Nanidni started walking towards the operation room. 

There's an older woman, the patient's wife waiting outside the operation ward, with whom Dhruv is speaking now and Nandini explained the details yesterday night. As she went closer, that woman looked at Nandini and Nandini smiled in return "I will do my best, so stay strong and wait for us", she said.

The patient's wife whispered a low okay in agreement and fidgeting with her hands, Nandini can understand the nervousness she must be going through. 

But still as a doctor, no matter how easy or complicated the operation is, they are not supposed to give any false hope to the patient and their family.

As Nandini walked inside after scrubbing her hands thoroughly, the nurse came to help her with the surgical mask and gloves. The patient is a male, age 58 and all his other details are on the monitor at the entrance of the operation room. 

Dhruv is already at the patient's side and anesthesia is given.

Nandini smiled once at the team as a greeting, then with an encouraging nod, they proceeded with the surgery, It's a varicose vein removal surgery. 

These types of veins occurrence are most common in adults, Varicose veins are large veins caused by high blood pressure that often appear on the legs and feet. They happen when the valves in the veins do not work properly, so the blood does not flow effectively.

Usually, most of them do not need any operation, but in this patient's case, his veins are large and swollen causing him a lot of pain and discomfort, so they opted for the surgery. 

Laser treatment can be done if the veins are not that swollen, but in this case, surgery is required.

"Endoscopic transilluminator please", Nandini requested for and instantly the special light is on the patient which she asked for. She made an incision under the skin, to see the swollen vein. 

This patient is overweight for his age and that makes little hard to continue with the process, "Irrigation", she said and her assistant immediately gave her the pipe holder, she squeezed the required saline on the cut she made.

Then gave it back to the nurse as her assistant helped her withholding the incision and once the situation got stable, Nandini cut the targetted vein and removed it with a suction device through the incision. 

There, the main part is done.

Even though this is surgery mostly considered simple, it took them almost one hour to wrap up. 

"Good work everyone", Nandini thanked her assistants Dhruv and Priya, also their anesthesiologist and nurse team. In return, they all said the same to her while she smiled.

Removing her gloves and masks, then throwing the surgical gown into the dustbin, Nandini walked out of the operation room first. Seeing her coming out, the patient's wife immediately stood up for her answer.

"Surgery is successful, you can visit once we shift him to the ICU", Nandini said calmly.

There is a look of relief on her face as she smiled, "Thank you doctor", she held Nandini's hands.