20. Paper hearts

All I ask for is your votes and comments, because that helps me what you all think of and makes me feel motivated to write more. Thank you :)

****

Whoever said volunteering in the medical camps gives a year's experience in just weeks is not lying, it's true. 

Nandini can feel how those words are true as their medical camp continued. On daily basis, they move a lot, village to village. If there are a lot of people in that place, then they will stay there for a night as traveling after sunset in these rural areas is not recommended. But if it's a small village, a check-up for the entire village is done in five hours, then they must pack everything and move to the next place in their list. 

It's too hard and they keep moving which makes them even more tired, as they all get on the bus for their new destination, almost everyone falls asleep.

If anyone asks Nandini for advice next year, she is going to say to take better care of their bodies and health. As every day is a new place, water changes, and food changes, sometimes weather also doesn't help much, in that case, they get even more tired. 

But in a camp like this, you are expected to working no matter what because there is no substitute here. Every day is a working day, like a 16-hour work shift for the entire 14 days.

And on top of that, Nandini has to avoid her senior which is really hard as he is their team's charge but that is also an advantage because that keeps him busy all the time. It's been a almost week already and Nandini left no option for him. 

Manik did try to talk with her few times, mostly during their lunch hours but like a scared cat, she kept running away, escaping from him. She is good at avoiding him and he is good at giving up, Manik never tried to hold her hand or call out her name when she is leaving. 

It's not going to change anything, only draws even more attention towards them which Nandini is not a fan of. 

But however, on the bus, during their little journeys, he sits next to her and she says nothing in return as he falls asleep on her shoulder. It's like their unsaid rule, those seats are reserved to them. After a minute or two, even she falls asleep. But that's it. 

Nothing more.

However, interestingly Nandini came a little closer to Aryaman. She did nothing, it's just that guy is over-friendly and Nandini just responded to him politely, like that they just clicked and became somewhat close to friends. 

But he does flirt with her sometimes, again, Aryaman flirts with everyone, it's like his stress buster.

Cabir and Navya, that's a whole another story. 

Dr. Cabir likes irritating Navya for no reason, he is polite and friendly with everyone except with her. Maybe due to their bad impressions of each other, they still treat each other as enemies. Nandini has never seen the chief nurse being savage to everyone, but thanks to Dr. Cabir, Nandini has seen her new side. 

The one which Navya only shows to that new doctor where she looks like she is ready to kill him and talks like she is stabbing him with her words. Even he is no innocent, at this point, it's like he is asking for her mean side. Almost everyone noticed their rival but no one involved as it seems like this is their own battle. Nandini did ask Navya about it but she shushed her saying it's fine. 

So, it's better to stay away.

On the second day of their trip, Dr. Rhea came and surprised them by joining their camp. It really didn't felt like a surprise for Nandini but that's what Rhea called herself as she looked at her Senior batting her eyelashes shyly. She is not on the list, but she got to know that Manik is their charge at the last minute, so she joined on the second day with no shame.