Preparing For A War

Valyria

Saying goodbye to my children was the hardest thing I have done yet. I may never see them again, and that is the consequences of going to war. I do not understand how my men can leave their families to come and fight for me. If it were not necessary, I would not insist that they do.

The men of the Golden Company, who I gave land to in the North and in Dorne, as well as the Iron Islands - for those who do not have a family name - are fighting in this war with me. Because we are fighting an army of the undead, I asked that all of the Seven Kingdoms send at least two hundred men to help.

To my surprise, Willas Tyrell and Lord Jaime Lannister sent about four hundred of their men. They were the ones I had expected to have to beg for assistance. I suppose Willas was curious, and Jaime, who is here himself, can finally fight like a the Kingslayer again.

Flying Rhaegal to Winterfell had been an amazing experience. Aegon had flown alongside me, and Daenerys would have, but someone had to stay in King's Landing. She is with Barristan Selmy, who is getting too old to fight as well as he once did.

As our dragons landed, I commanded Rhaegal not to eat until I bring him food. Aegon told Viserion the same, and they surprisingly both agreed and did not try to eat anyone. Hunter had flown on Rhaegal with me. Brienne, Loras Tyrell, and Orell of the Thenns rode with us too, while the rest of the Kingsguard were with Aegon.

We had walked over to the gates, which immediately raised for me and my men. I walked in with Hunter and Aegon, with the Kingsguard following close behind. I still remember how odd it felt to have to tell everyone that they could stop kneeling.

Uncle Brynden, Uncle Edmure, Roslin and Little Robb, Shireen Baratheon, Stannis, Sansa, Harrold Arryn - who was once a Hardyng - Arya, Meera Reed, Bran, Rickon, Brandon and Caetherys had all waited for our arrival. We had walked into the Great Hall, and I greeted everyone with hugs and warm words.

Now I am waiting to get myself together. I am so afraid that I will die during this war that I have told everyone I am not feeling well. Only Aegon knows that I am lying, but he does not mind. He understands that finalising my battle plan was the thing I was focused on.

I walked into the small chamber we were having our meeting in. Jaime Lannister, Garlan Tyrell, Obara Sand, Asha Greyjoy, Uncle Edmure and Uncle Brynden, Harrold, Arya, Aegon, Brandon, Jon Snow, Stannis and Hunter were all waiting for me, but I just could not go in there. They rely on my plan, and I am nervous.

When I finally entered the room, I greeted Jon Snow with a hug. He had not been here yesterday, so I was not expecting to see him until the battle. I then took a spot between Jon and Aegon, who both shot me reassuring smiles, to encourage me.

"Your Grace, I do so hope you have a plan," Obara Sand said rudely.

"Of course I have a bloody plan," I told her, getting annoyed already. "What do you think I have been doing the past year in my spare time? I am either ruling or planning this battle. Now, before I actually explain my plan, let's get questions out of the way."

Everyone fell quiet as they thought of their questions, and tried to see if they would be answered with the plan. Glances were exchanged and people whispered to each other, but no one asked questions. They were not too afraid, they just were not used to having to ask anything yet.

I think they are just as nervous as I am, but for a different reason. They worry that my plan will not be good enough and it will just be a massacre, but I am nervous that they will not like my plan. I fear it being a massacre, if I am to be completely honest.