Bitter Pain (Hunter and Valyria)

HUNTER

Allister was dead, and today we were mourning him. I am meant to launch his funeral boat and then I am to release a fiery arrow that hits the boat. It is a lot to expect me to do while I am crying over the fact that my very best friend is dead, but I will not complain.

We had held a wake for the Greatjon before sending his body North. Valyria sent two of the strongest men she could find, as she knew that he would get along well with them. She threatened to flay both of them herself if they slacked off, so something tells me his body will be returned to the Last Hearth soon.

My heart aches, and I have only felt this once before, but this is slightly different. This pain is the need to have my best friend alive and well. At least, that is what Brandon told me when I explained it to him. He is very calm about all of this, but it's just because he's hiding how upset he really is.

I stood by the river, looking down at Allister's dead body. Everyone was here, so the funeral would start really soon. The Lannisters all stood together, and so did the Riverlords. The Northern lords watched their Warden with worried eyes, and the men of the Golden Company who were here all watched their King.

Brandon stood beside me, and I could see how much he was hurting. He had run out of the room at the wake for the Greatjon, and Valyria had followed him. I did not ask what happened, as that would mean I would have to speak to Valyria.

There is no issue between us, other than the fact that I still love her and she almost admitted it. Aegon is her king, and I never will be, so I should accept that. She must think I hate her and think she is selfish for trying to keep herself, and everyone else, alive. There is no way she could have known that Allister's throat would suddenly be slit, or that the Greatjon would snap the way he did.

Valyria walked over to me, and I could see that she was sad, but there was no sign of tears. Her blood red hair caught the light of the fire, and it looked like blood was flowing down her shoulders. I noticed that she looked paler, and that her intimidating steel grey eyes were softer today. She carried herself like the queen she is, and I wanted to break that demeanor by having her scream my name in pleasure.

As Aegon walked over to Lord Connington and Jon Snow, I knew it was time to shoot the arrow. It was Valyria who pushed Allister's boat into the river. I lit the arrow I had, and then drew back the string of my bow. As the arrow flew through the air, I knew it would hit Allister's boat.

Grief overwhelmed me as it caught on fire, and everyone left. Brandon walked over to talk to Jon Snow, but Valyria stayed. Her eyes were locked on the boat, but then they were locked on me. I began to sob, and she just pulled me close, so I was crying on her shoulder.

"I am sorry," she whispered. "All I had to do was kill Jonos before anyone else died, but I failed. Do not try and answer, please." Her voice was filled with urgency. "All Aegon and Jon have told me is that it is not my fault. I just need someone to listen for once."

The knowledge that I was the one she trusted to listen to her made me feel a bit better, but not by much. I pulled away from her and saw that Valyria was crying too. I went to wipe her tears away, but then she grabbed my hands and forced them away.

I could feel Aegon watching us, and it made me bitter. He got to wed the woman I love, and now she is in love with him too. She loves us both, and I want to make it easier for her by leaving, but I just cannot do it. I am not selfless enough.

When Valyria had first walked down the isle to Aegon, my heart was beating fast in my chest. The white dress she wore made me want her more than ever, but when she had reached Aegon and he gave her his dragon cloak, my heart shattered. I knew she would no longer be mine, and I had to fight back tears.