The Wall

We had actually made it to the Wall. After three and a bit days of riding, we were here. On one night we had camped on the side of the Kingsroad and for almost all of the ride, Hunter and Allister complained about how they were cold. Now that we were here, they would shut up and be given an actual, warm coat.

Hunter and Allister had gone ahead before they got frostbite. The sun had just set and that meant it was going to get colder. Brandon had gone with them, to show them the safest way. Steel and Ice were with me, so I decided to ride slower for them. They were both tired and on-edge. A proper meal and a warm bed would calm them down and help them sleep.

As I rode up to the gate, I could see two men standing guard. They both watched me ride over and saw the two direwolves at my sides. Instead of opening the gate, they just stood there. It is clear that I am not a wildling, but they were not going to help me out.

When I was close enough to raise my voice without the wind carrying it away, I thought that they would open the gate. Instead, they stood there and spoke to each other, ignoring me completely. I was about to drive my sword through the gates and into them.

"Who are you and what do you want?" One guard asked, annoyed for no reason.

"I am Lady Valyria Stark," I stated, yelling against the wind. "My brother, Jon Snow, asked for me to help and my companions went ahead. They are Hunter Baratheon, Allister Ellwood and Brandon Tallhart."

"This is not the place for women," the second guard told me, angering me. "Turn back around and ride back to whatever small town you really came from. Valyria Stark would not come here."

I removed my hood, revealing my hair, which was the colour of dried blood. My hair and eyes were the two things that everyone knew me by. In every story about me, my hair is the colour of dried blood and my eyes are the same colour as Valyrian steel.

"My direwolves are with me," I insisted, gesturing to them both. "Let me in. I am here to help. I swear it on my own life that I am Lady Valyria Stark. The Night's Watch is in no position to keep me out, so let me in."

The guards discussed it with each other and one walked off while the other opened the gate for me. I rode into Castle Black with Steel and Ice to my right. When I was in the courtyard, I got off my horse and looked around.

It was not as fancy and brilliant as I had expected, but it somehow reminded me of Winterfell. I pushed all thoughts of my home from my mind as Hunter, Allister and Brandon walked over. Hunter and Allister both had warmer coats and seemed to be a bit happier.

Steel moved to my left and Ice sat on my right as a group of men came over. Many pairs of eyes were on me, as I was probably the only woman these men had seen in years. It made me uncomfortable, but I ignored them all.

A man, who I assumed was Alliser Thorne, walked over to me with his men. He was an old man with white hair, a grim face and a fierce hatred in his eyes. He knew who I was as soon as he looked at me, thanks to my hair and eyes. What could be used as a method of persuasion had just let me down.

"Come with me," he commanded. "Eddison, take the direwolves to where the other one is and then take our guests to their rooms. The Stark girl and I have some things to discuss."

"My Lord, I wish to see my brother first," I insisted. "He is the reason that I am here."

"You can see him after," Alliser Thorne told me, coldly. "We need to have a little chat."

While Hunter, Allister and Brandon were led to their rooms, I was led in the opposite direction. In fact, I ended up on the far side of the courtyard, not a room. Surprisingly, no one came ever. However, most men stood close enough to hear if one of us shouted.