What A Time

Today I was meant to be training Jaime Lannister in how to use his left hand. Tyrion Lannister originally asked his sellsword to do it, but he had heard that I was trying to get permission to go to the Wall and figured that Jaime could help. At first I had laughed, but then I agreed.

After agreeing to help out Jaime, I asked myself why. Then I decided that it was not so I could leave this place, but because I needed allies everywhere. Having one Lannister as an ally was helpful, but two Lannisters are even better, especially if one is in the Kingsguard.

When I walked down to the courtyard beside the sea, I ensured that no one was following me. Ice and Steel were being kept in a spare set of chambers that is next to my own, but I had not brought them with me because that may draw unwanted attention. That, and they would want to attack Jaime, thinking of him as a threat.

The eldest Lannister was sitting down when I walked over. He had a new sword with him and I saw that it was Valyrian Steel. That made me worry, but I shrugged it off and assumed that Tywin Lannister had finally bought one off someone.

Jaime spotted me and stood up. He was clearly surprised. I just laughed and dropped the two sparring swords that I had with me. When I walked over to the Kingslayer, I noticed that he had a fake, gold hand that was probably made out of gilded steel and then painted, otherwise it would be too heavy.

"Tyrion told me he was getting a discreet swordsman," Jaime stated. "You are not the person I thought was coming."

"I did not think that you would," I replied, as he tried to offer me money. "I do not need any gold. I will just need a favor very soon."

"Is this place safe?" Jaime questioned.

"A friend of mine helped me out with finding a little spell when I was last here. No one can hear us and they can only see us if they are a shape-shifter." Jaime looked at his sword and then at where I kept mine. "We are not using our actual swords." I tossed Jaime a sparring sword. "I do not want someone to end up dead. That someone would be you, of course."

Jaime held the sparring sword in his left hand and I could tell that everything was off. I switched my own sword to my left hand and sighed. If whoever taught Jaime how to use a sword had of used their brain, they would know that someone of his talent should be able to use both hands.

"I have not used a sparring sword since I was nine," Jaime complained.

"Well, you cannot actually fight, so this is where you start from. Hold up your sword and show me what you can do."

Jaime swung his sword, but everything was off. I blocked his swings and then kicked him in the back of the knees. He went down and swore at me, furiously. When the Kingslayer pushed himself back up, his eyes radiated his fury.

"If you really want to be a great warrior then you cannot fight dirty! It is not fair!"

"Stop acting like a child! Life is not fair! If life were fucking fair then we would not be here! If life were fair then the Targaryen's would never have taken over Westeros and we would be back in the days of the Kings in the North! Neither of us would be here!" Jaime looked at me, confused, as I took a few breaths. "It is the same with sword fighting. If it were fair then everyone would be of equal skill. You can learn to fight again, but you are at a disadvantage. Turn it into an advantage. Hit someone with your steel hand. Do something to play dirty. Do something to win."

Jaime suddenly swung his sparring sword, but I was ready. I easily blocked his attacked and then stood there, waiting for another attack. At least Jaime could hold his sword still. It was the only reason he was even training like this.