Bickering

These past few days there have been mysterious deaths. They all look like accidents, but I doubt it. A Ryswell man fell off one of Winterfell's inner walls, the squire of Aenys Frey was found dead and naked in the snow, and a crossbowman of the Flint's was found by a crushed skull, which was said to be from a horse kick.

When I walked into the hall, I could feel the glares of the Frey men. They probably blamed me for this, but it makes no sense. I would have no issue with killing a Frey squire, but I would not kill a man of the North. There is no point in killing a man who will soon fight alongside me if Stannis lives.

Last night I had been sent a message from Hunter. He suggested that when the battle begun, I kill both Ramsay and Roose Bolton. I had let him into my thoughts to tell him that I agree, and a sweet feeling ran through me. As soon as the feeling was there, it was gone again.

Barbrey Dustin had asked if I wanted actual chambers, but I had denied and explained my room in the Burned Tower to her. Wyman Manderly had been uneasy with the thought of me being there, but I just assured him that it takes a lot to get there. You have to leap with all your strength and then some. I have missed before, but now my body would heal the sprains quickly.

Despite Roose's reluctance, I was allowed to sit on the dais with the other lords and ladies. I did choose to stay in the back of the hall, but I sat up there to talk to Wyman Manderly about a possible suitor for me. He had no idea I was working for Stannis or that I wanted the Iron Throne, so I went along with it.

Today Rickard Ryswell wished for me to sit and speak to him, so I agreed. He was quite like Barbrey, who is his daughter. Although they are kind, they do not show it to those they do not like and are quite upfront about their thoughts.

As I took my seat, Wyman Manderly moved to sit next to me. He had been keeping me company, and I knew it was because he knew House Manderly owed House Stark. If it were not for my ancestors, my father, and my brother still allowing him to be here, he would be exiled. He was quite amusing when he was drunk, and when he was not.

"How long must we sit here and wait for this king who never comes?" Ser Hosteen Frey questioned, rather stupidly. "We should take the fight to Stannis and make an end to him."

"Leave the castle?" Harwood Stout asked, his tone implying he would sooner lose his one remaining arm. "Would you have us charge blindly into the snow?"

"To fight Lord Stannis we would first need to find him," Rickard Ryswell pointed out. "Our scouts go out the Hunter's Gate, but of late none of them return."

Then stop sending scouts. If they do not return, we are just allowing the White Walkers to take the dead and use them as wights. The other lords and ladies may not believe they have returned, but we have proof. Samwell Tarly killed one, and he saw an army of them too. He is the most sane person I have met and I take his word for it.

"White Harbour does not fear to ride with you, Ser Hosteen," Wyman insisted, considering having one of his men kill the Frey. "Lead us out, and my knights will ride behind you."

"Close enough to drive a lance through my back, aye," Hosteen remarked, proving himself to be a bit smarter then I had originally thought, though not by much. "Where are my kin, Manderly. Tell me that. Your guests, who brought your son back to you."

Hosteen Frey was asking for a fight, which made him stupider than I thought. For a few seconds it was as if he actually had a brain in that thick skull of his, but not anymore. I decided to call him Ser Stupid, as it fit him quite well.

"His bones, you mean," Wyman reminded him, stabbing a peace of ham with his dagger. "I recall them well. Rhaegar of the round shoulders, with his glib tongue. Bold Ser Jared, so swift to draw his steel. Symond the spymaster, always clinking coins. They brought home Wendel's bones. It was Lord Tywin Lannister who returned Wylis to me, safe and whole, as he had promised. A man of his word, if nothing else." Lord Wyman began to chew his meat, and loudly smacked his lips when he was done. "The road has many dangers, ser. I gave your brothers gifts when we left White Harbor. We swore we would meet again at the wedding. Many and more bore witness to our parting."