Castle Cerwyn

The ride to Cerwyn, the seat of House Cerwyn, had taken longer than expected. We avoided the lands held by House Bolton, but when we had neared Winterfell, we had no choice but to set up camp. It was not my choice, but I was in no state to argue.

Brandon, Allister and Hunter had decided that being so close to my home would convince me to visit. Hunter and Brandon feared that if they let me visit Winterfell that they would never get me to leave, or at least not until it was too late. They may be correct, but I was not happy.

Finally, after what became four days instead of two and a bit, we arrived on House Cerwyn's lands. We were most likely expected, as Mors Umber had sent them a raven, but sometimes the birds never reach their destination. With the cold, it would not be a surprise if the bird did not survive.

Castle Cerwyn was a simple, small castle, but even the smallest castle was built to hold back hundreds of men. Seeing how being raided by Wildlings was an issue for all Northern lords, we designed all of our castles to withstand seiges and attacks. It is the smartest thing to do.

We rode up to the gates and I prepared to deal with more rude guards, but they were lifted for us and we rode straight in. This made me suspicious, but when I looked over at Allister, he relaxed a little. I did not trust his instincts for once, as my direwolves were uneasy too.

As I led Hunter, Brandon, and Allister into the courtyard, I saw that Lady Jonelle Cerwyn was waiting for us. She did not look pleased and it was clear that she had not been sleeping well. I assumed it had to do with the deaths of her father and brother.

Jonelle's usually warm brown eyes were now hard and cold, and her long brown hair was cut shorter. The only things that let me know this was, in fact, Jonelle Cerwyn were the facts that she was still pale and plump. Even her smile lacked it's warmth and life.

We all got off our horses and men came to get them. Steel and Ice immediately ran over and came to my sides. They had strayed off, but they did not like the way I was being looked at, so they joined me. It was then that Allister nodded at Jonelle, which was a gesture that I was unsure about.

A man walked out, into the courtyard, with a sword and I noticed how similar he looked to Allister. He was tall and had muscles on his arms, unlike Allister, who looked weak. They had the same light brown hair and grey-green eyes, but the man was tanner than Allister.

"Lady Jonelle, it is a pleasure to see you again," I told her, warily. "I hope you do not mind me asking, but why is Finlay Ellwood here and why is his sword drawn?"

"Sorry, my lady, but I am sworn to Roose Bolton," she stated, coldly. "Your family were once my liege lords, but not anymore. Finlay and I are to marry so House Cerwyn can continue."

"Allister, why is your sword drawn?" Hunter questioned, drawing my attention to another problem. "And why are men surrounding us?"

"It's a trap," Brandon said, darkly.

Sighing, I drew my sword from it's sheath and then my dagger. Steel and Ice crouched low, growling in sync. Brandon and Hunter drew their swords too. If this were to end in a fight, we would die for sure. Not even we could hold off this many people at once.

"This does not have to end in bloodshed," I insisted. "Put down your weapons and we will sheath our own. You can let us ride out of here. Friend should not have to fight friend and Northerner should not have to fight Northerner."

"Roose Bolton will trust us for sure if we give him your head," Jonelle explained. "Your family has been the bane of the North. If we kill you, we kill the problem."

Some Northerner she is. Jonelle Cerwyn, a lady I had known since I was a child, had turned against me. I was her brother's best friend, but that is not enough to stop her. She thinks that killing me will kill the problem, but I do not want her to know the truth. Not if she is to betray me.