The Awakening

It had been two days since Stannis had decided that he wanted to burn me alive, and I had not worked up the courage to tell everyone. Looking at the North had calmed me, but it had not helped. It is one of those things that will just happen.

All I know is that Hunter was getting better. His heart beat was as fast as it would be if he were sleeping, and he was breathing normally. A lot of colour had returned to his face, and although he still looked too pale, he looked better.

When everyone else had been at dinner, I had whispered to him and told him what was happening. I hope that he will not remember it, but at the same time I hope he does. Maybe having him know will make it easier.

Brandon and Allister had just left to check on my direwolves and to bring us back food. I have not eaten much these past two days. If you were to add up everything I had eaten, it would just reach a full meal. I knew that Jon, Brandon and Allister were worried, but they have not asked yet.

Suddenly, Hunter's heartbeat sped up and he gasped. His eyes flew open and he moved forward a bit. I smiled when I realized that he was awake. Hunter turned to face me and smiled a little, taking my hand in his.

"Hunter, are you okay?" I asked, worriedly. "Allister described what you might have seen and it sounds terrible."

"My fears have been moved past," Hayden insisted. "Where am I? What day is it?"

"You are in your chambers on the Wall," I told him, smiling. "It has been two weeks since the Battle of Castle Black. The Wildlings gave in when Stannis saved the day."

"Hunter!" Allister exclaimed, running over to hug his best friend.

Hunter and Allister hugged, and then Brandon hugged him too. I handed Hunter a bowl of soup, which he ate as quickly as he could. One could only imagine how hungry he was after not eating for such a long time.

We all ate because Allister insisted that I have some of his soup, and then we waited for each other to finish. I think Brandon and Allister had believed that I was worried about Hunter, but now that they saw the worry still on my face, they were getting suspicious. I would have to tell them.

Jon walked into the chambers and greeted Hunter, smiling politely. He sat next to me and I rested my head on my little brothers' shoulder. Sometimes it feels like he is my older brother. He was certainly like an older brother when we were young.

It was weird to think about Jon as a child. He was so young and unhappy. We both were. Now we have grown up and Jon was a lot happier. Sure, he had lost his family and Ygritte, but he had gained a real family amongst the men of the Night's Watch. He had gotten what he never truly had, all because my mother hated him.

The sad truth is that if I die, Jon will have no biological family left. He knows that Arya may be dead, and just because she is tough does not mean she has survived. I just hope that someone found her and now she is safe with them.

"Have they decided who is Lord Commander yet?" I asked Jon, ensuring that the attention was not on me.

"Alliser Thorne is still counting, apparently," Jon told me. "Are you going to tell us what is wrong or are you going to keep avoiding it? Do not try to deny you are upset because I have grown up with you and I know when something is wrong."

"We should wait until Hunter is better," I insisted, trying to get out of it. "He just woke up. It can wait."

"Valyria, just tell us," Hunter pleaded. "Those dreams I had frightened me and made me realize that I don't want to lose anyone else. Please tell us. We can help."

"I am going to go and get something," I said, getting to my feet. "I trust you three to explain what is going on and I will return shortly."

I left the room and went back to my chambers. When I shut the door behind me, I let out a shaky breath and ran my hands through my hair. I have to tell them because if I do not, they will get angry. Then, if I tell them, they will be angry anyway.