He accidently hurts you emotionally/physically

Stefan: It had been unknown to all that Stefan still had extremely vivid nightmares of being the ripper. The memories haunt him and he had struggled to ever forgive himself for what he had done in that time of his life. You had both been cozied up in bed when he began to toss and turn. You sat up, giving him a weary glance before realizing that he was having another nightmare. You jumped up and ran to the other side of the bed, kneeling down and beginning to caress his face softly, as to not wake him up with a startle.
"Stefan, hey, c'mon, your alright." You said in a hushed voice as you brushed fingers through his hair. "Stefan, it's ju-" His eyes immediently flung open and he grabbed you by the throat with great force before pushing you into the wall.
"Ste- stefan p-please." You managed to breath out painfully. His eyes were glazed over, and he was still living in his nightmare, in a haze of his own. Veins grew from under his eyes and he grimaced at you harshly.
"Stefan!" You managed to yell. His eye's opened properly and his face softened as he came out of his daze. He quickly let go of his grip on you and you slid down the wall to the floor where he met you, dropping to his knee's.
"What have I done?" He whispered to nobody in particular as he looked at the damage he had caused, frantically pulling you into his arms.
"I'm sorry, I'm so, so, so, so sorry y/n." He sobbed, holding you gently.
"I'm fine. It's okay." You spoke quietly, still trying to catch your breath.
"It's not okay! You can barely speak! I should be the last person to ever hurt you." He protested, speaking the last part in a hushed whisper.
"Stefan, it was an accident. I'm alive aren't I? I'm tough, I'll be fine."
"I know you are." He spoke softly, caressing your face, your words bringing a small smile to his lips.
"Stefan, that's not you anymore. It was never you." You assured him, his smile dropping.
"I don't know what I would do without you y/n. And I swear that I will never let anyone hurt you. Not Klaus, not any of the werewolves, and not me."

Damon: Drinking, of course, was a big thing for Damon. He drank a lot. Never enough to get completely off his face, considering he was a vampire, so he handled his liquor well, but enough to cloud his judgment and make him less than agreeable. It was during one of these drunken states that he decided to go through with one of his barely thought out plans. To break up with you. Not because he wanted to. No, he loved you more than he could ever admit to himself. But with this foggy mind, and unclear decision making skills, he had chosen what he thought would keep you safe.
"I don't love you anymore." He protested dryly.
"Damon stop it! What are you saying?" You asked wearily, not sure whether this was him, or the bourbon talking.
"It's over. We're over. I can't do it anymore!" He yelled angrily. "I'm choosing to let you go." He sighed under his breath, turning on his heal and storming out of the parlour and to his room, drink still in-hand.
You could't breath. Never in your life had you ever thought of yourself being so in love, so emotionally dependent on one person, but there you were. Confused and on the very verge of heartbreak.
No words were uttered from your lips, all but a shaky breath escaped before tears began to run down your virtually paralyzed face.
"y/n?" Stefan called, noticing your solemn figure as he walked through the room. You simply looked up at him, only for a second, before leaving the house, running.
The door slammed shut, leaving and echo to run through the house, and Stefan to remain standing there, confused and worried by your tears. Never had he seen so much heartache.
"Damon!" He called, making his way to his brothers room. Opening the door, he was met with a tear stricken Damon, sipping on his glass of bourbon.
"What happened?" Stefan asked harshly.
"You know damn well what happened little brother." He scoffed, standing up and putting his glass down. Almost instantly, Stefan had Damon pinned to the wall out of anger.
"How could you be so heartless?! Do you know how much pain you just caused her?! Huh Damon? Do you?!" Stefan growled at his brother.
"I did it to protect her Stefan." Damon grimaced, shrugging Stefan's hold off of him effortlessly.
"That is the worst idea I think you've ever had." Stefan sighed.
"Well she's not safe with me Stefan!"
"She's not safe with you? Damon, we live in Mystic Fall's! She's not safe anywhere! Nobody is! So not only have you just put her in more danger, you've broken her heart." Stefan protested, grimacing at his brother and leaving the room, slamming the door shut behind him.
As Damon took in his brothers words, the realization of what he had done finally sunk in. Shoving his drink to the side, he made his way down stairs in a hurry, grabbing his keys he rushed out of the door. Arriving at your house within minutes, he knocked on the door, receiving no reply, he tried again.
"y/n?" He called. You creaked the door open slowly, not opening it all the way as to show how much of a toll the breakup had really taken on you.
"Yes?" You asked dryly, not making eye contact.
"y/n I'm sorry. I thought I was protecting you but I'm too selfish to keep you away from me. I love you, and if you could ever forgive me, that would be more than I could ever ask from you." He spoke sadly, tears threatening to spill over in his own eyes.
"Protecting me? Damon look at me. I'm a mess. Leaving you hurts me more than any kind of supernatural being in Mystic Falls ever could." You protested, desperately trying to put on a straight face and stand your ground, when all you really wanted was to be in his arms again.
"You're not a mess," He spoke, "your perfect." Seeing the look of utter heartache in his eyes broke you even more. So much so that you gave up on standing your ground, and walked straight to him, wrapping your arms around his torso as his made their way around your waist.
"Please don't do that to me again." You breathed into his chest.
"Never."