Jeremy Gilbert (& Matt)- Lifesaver

//Jeremy saving you from drowning//

Without all of the supernatural creatures wreaking havoc on your small town, Mystic Falls was still very much a lively place. More often that not, the teens of Mystic Falls High would run wild, throwing crazy house parties that would be heard from countless streets over, and no doubt, end in a visit from the police department.

It was difficult going about your days without your friends- of whom most were either that of the supernatural variety, or had left for college, but you got by just fine. You went to school, you worked part time at the grill- everything was going well.

>>

Having been good friends with Elena before she left, you had grown quite close with the Gilbert boy; Jeremy, as well as Matt Donovan- two of the only friends you had left in town. But Matt had graduated, and was training to join the police force. And Jeremy; he had completely shut down.

He stopped going to school, he'd quit his job, and he began neglecting his title of 'vampire hunter'. He would just sit at home, playing video games and drinking whatever he could get his hands on. But what with everything he had been through, everything he'd seen and endured, you didn't exactly blame him for wanting to escape it all- but you knew he was strong enough to power through it and get back on his feet.

You'd visit him sometimes, play a couple of video games with him- try to lift his spirits and send hints about at least going back to school. And truth be told, it did bring a smile to his face. He loved having you around- and secretly, he had feeling for you. But he couldn't yet bring himself to go back to how things once were- to admit to himself that he cared.

>>

One of the seniors had planned another commonplace party on the weekend to celebrate the end of another semester.

Parties weren't exactly your type of scene- everyone knew that. But Matt said Jer was going, and that you could just 'go back to being responsible tomorrow'. With the accomplishment of getting Jeremy to leave the house, paired with surviving your classes; you felt that a celebration was indeed in order.

>>

You could hear the music pounding from the quaint suburban home from down the street as you arrived in your friends car.

"God," You grimaced, peering out the window and catching a glimpse of three very intoxicated teenagers dancing on the balcony. "I immediately regret this decision."

"Every time I see you, you're working your ass off." Your friend reasoned, "Let loose a little, Y/N. Have some fun." With that, she parked the car and you hesitantly proceeded into the house.

>>

The whole place wreaked of alcohol and bad decisions. And it made you remember very quickly why you regularly avoided these types of things. But Jeremy was supposed to be there, so you set out to look for what you saw as the pro among all of the cons.

Sidestepping your way through the crowd of sweaty, unfamiliar faces, you made your way to the backyard, where the party remained just as chaotic. The lush grass seemed to be sprinkled with drunken teens who had long since passed-out, and an abundance of red cups littered the swimming pool.

"Y/N!" The familiar voice of Jeremy called out. Standing on the tips of your toes, you peered through the crowd, and sure enough- your eyes caught his smiling face as he made his way toward you, shuffling passed the sloppily dancing teens.

"Jer! Hey." You beamed as he stopped in front of you- wrapping him in a hug. You sighed in comfort when his arms too, made their way around you. Right there, in that moment; you felt completely at home.