When you die

~DISCLAIMER~

Mentions of death (obviously), grief and loss.
In particular, Stefan's preference includes a foreseen, and slow-burning death that some readers may find disturbing.

Stefan: You never wanted to be a vampire. You had seen the pain and agony they not only suffered, but bestowed unwilling upon others. And although this may not have been true for all vampires, each and every one had a story to tell. A story of lives lost and hearts broken; of humanity neglected and families torn at the seams.

But after being attacked by one of Niklaus' goons- vampire blood still in your system- that decision was out of your hands.

So ultimately, you were left with two choices: Drink human blood, and complete the transition- becoming a vampire. Or let yourself fade away into nothing, and die.

After a period of deep thought, you chose the latter.

>>

Stefan was there when you awoke from the fatal attack that ended your time as a human. He hadn't left your side since it happened.

"Feeling any better?" It had been hours since you had woken up, and his voice was still soft- quiet. Almost as if he was afraid to startle you with anything louder. His hands brushed through your hair, and you sat up with his help.

You winced at the dull throbbing of your head and squinted at the glimmer of sunlight piercing through the drapes for the hundredth time that day.

"Why is this happening to me." You spoke almost to yourself. Not so much asking the question, but trying to prompt an answer.

"Damon will be back with the blood-bags soon. Hold tight." He assured you, grasping your hand tighter. He felt guilty. Like he could have stopped you from being hurt; like it was his fault.

Your empty stare, once fixated on the bedsheets, then turned to him- filled with emotion.

"I can't do this." You almost whispered, as if suddenly realizing the severity of the situation. He didn't answer; at a complete loss for words as he remained focused on you. "I can't- I can't be a vampire, Stefan." Tears began to well in your eyes. "I don't want to be a vampire."

Just as your voice began to waver, he pulled you into his arms. He understood exactly what you were saying, and didn't want to discredit how you felt, or be selfish enough to force you into completing the transition.

 He understood exactly what you were saying, and didn't want to discredit how you felt, or be selfish enough to force you into completing the transition

He swallowed thickly, holding you to his chest as it dawned on him that it may very well be the last time he ever did just that.

>>