33

⋅•⋅⋅•⋅⊰⋅•⋅⋅•⋅⋅•⋅⋅•⋅∙∘☽༓☾∘∙•⋅⋅⋅•⋅⋅⊰⋅•⋅⋅•⋅⋅•⋅⋅•⋅

THE HOGWARTS STAFF, demonstrating a continued desire to impress the visitors from Beaux batons and Durmstrang, seemed determined to show the castle at its best this Christmas. When the decorations went up, Ebony noticed that they were the most stunning she had yet seen inside the school. 

Everlasting icicles had been attached to the banisters of the marble staircase; the usual twelve Christmas trees in the Great Hall were bedecked with everything from luminous holly berries to real, hooting, golden owls, and the suits of armour had all been bewitched to sing carols whenever anyone passed them. 

It was quite something to hear 'Oh Come, All Ye Faithful' sung by an empty helmet that only knew half the words. Several times, Filch the caretaker had to extract Peeves from inside the armour, where he had taken to hiding, filling in the gaps in the songs with lyrics of his own invention, all of which were very rude.

Ebony is beyond happy that Fred had asked her for the ball. She had thought about it for a while after she entered her dorm that night and she couldn't stop herself from giggling at the thought of being there with her fake-date. How is she ever going to live this down?

"So, you and Fred, Angelina and I and Lee is . . . well -- er -- alone, for now." George says at breakfast. It's only him and Ebony at the table because their friends are currently in detention. "Should we get Lee a date?"

Ebony, however, doesn't answer. She stares at her food in silence, afraid that her friendship with Fred will end because of her stupid feelings. If only she could insult her heart to make it change her feelings for him--

"EBS!" George asks, loudly, he waves his hand in front of her face. "What's the matter with you?" 

She has to tell someone. 

"Can I talk to you after breakfast?"

"We could skip charms, yeah." George replies, giving her a reassuring smile. Ebony nods and sighs deeply, how is she ever going to explain this nonsense to him? 

Breakfast goes by quickly, she sits down with George in one of the secret passage ways they had found on the map in year 2, class had already started but the two couldn't be bothered. George waits patiently until Ebony starts to talk, she breathes out.

"I really shouldn't tell you this but I need someone to talk to and out of all people, I trust you the most." Ebony says softly to which George frowns.

"I hope you know I'm not Fred."

"No, I know." 

This only makes George more confused. He had thought that his brother and best friend could talk about anything and everything together, doesn't matter what. Maybe some things should be kept from the ones you love the most.

"Go ahead, I won't judge." George assures her. 

"So, you know the whole Fred and I thing?"

"Everyone knows, Ebs, you two are grossly in love--"

"Do you know Derrick?" Ebony interrupts him. "The one on the Slytherin Quidditch team? He is in our year."

"Yeah, I remember Derrick. I remember how I knocked him off his broom multiple times." George recalls proudly. Ebony hums.

"He was assaulting me during the entire year." George's eyes widen at her words but he remains quiet. "It was even so bad that I didn't dare to return to my dorm at night."