eighteen - the room

"Where are we going?" Sebastian asked, stumbling slightly as I guided him with my arm linked through his.

"You'll see."

I stopped him in an empty corridor and he looked at me, utterly dumbfounded.

"Uhh..."

"Wait." I said, holding up my hand.

A creaky sound appeared and a door emerged in front of us.

He stared at it, looking focused and probably questioning if this was a drunken hallucination.

"Come on." I pulled him by the arm and he reluctantly followed me inside, staring at the alcoves of the entry way.

"Ah! Miss Radley, Deek was just about to head out for the evening." Deek, my borrowed house elf, said, walking over to me quickly. He stopped and looked up at Sebastian. "A... a visitor?"

"Yes, Deek. This is Sebastian Sallow. A friend of mine."

"How do you do, Mr. Sallow? A friend of Miss Radley's is a friend of mine. Welcome."

Sebastian stood silent, staring at Deek. I nudged him hard. "Be polite!" I hissed quietly.

"Oh, uh. Hello, Deek."

"Well, Deek will be back tomorrow morning. Goodnight!"

Deek excused himself and Sebastian narrowed his eyes and he observed and took in the expansiveness of the foliage adorned room.

"This is the room of requirement." I told him, placing an arm on his back as he continued to stare confused at the high ceilings of the room. In his defence, it was almost the size of an entire house. It would be incredible when you're used to living in that tiny shack at Feldcroft.

"How did you... what..."

"It is accessible to anyone... if they know how. Professor Weasley showed it to me in our fifth year, to study. If you need something really badly, think hard and the room will appear and transform into what you need. Watch this."

I closed my eyes tight and concentrated on focusing my mind. The room began to shift and up a flight of stairs appeared another door.

"Let's see if it worked." I said, taking Sebastian by the hand and leading him up the stairs.

I pushed open the door and there stood a double bed and a small bathroom off to the side.

"Ta da." I said, propping the door open and gesturing for Sebastian to go inside.

Sebastian still hadn't said a word since Deek greeted him. He took a precarious seat on the edge of the bed, looking as if he was struggling to take it all in.

"Galleon for your thoughts?" I said, taking a seat next to him and wrapping an arm around his shoulder, leaning in to him.

"This is just... wow. How do you do all this?"

"Oh, this isn't me. Anyone can do this. The room is available to anyone who needs it, for whatever reason. For me, it's a safe and cosy space to study and unwind. It was very handy with all those bloody extra assignments they had me doing."

Sebastian chuckled, then let out a huge sigh.

"Seriously, what's the matter?"

"You know I'm not good with words when it comes to how I feel, Lara."

"I know. Just say whatever comes to mind."

Sebastian dipped his head and clasped his hands together, resting his elbows on his knees.