fifty one - time

August

I had written to my parents to let them know I was staying in Feldcroft for a month to sort out some things. Magic related I told them, so they couldn't question it.

I believe they didn't know about Sebastian. They had no reason to be reading wizarding newspapers, so when they asked, I said he was staying on to study a little more.

My mother's relentless letters started pouring in, filled with pleas for me to return home. She wanted to know if I had a job or a potential husband. I had neither, and the thought of entering an arranged marriage made me sick to my stomach. I clung to the hope that Sebastian would one day appear, and everything would be as it once was. But deep down, I knew it was a naive fantasy.

September

I had to relent and return to London. I told them Sebastian and I had fallen out of contact. I regretted my choice immediately and should have just chosen to ignore my mother.

"Well, if you aren't gaining employment after your schooling, we'd be more than happy to help get you prepared for the next courting season." She told me.

My worst fucking nightmare.

"Do we want to put her through that? Things are considerably different... I don't know how a witch would go marrying into a muggle family, Lorna..." my father told her.

She shrugged off his concerns and seemed overly keen to get me started on moving back to pretty dresses and dolled up hair, rather than broomsticks, potions and pants.

My heart still belonged to Sebastian, and the thought of entertaining another man made me ill. I longed for his presence, but he was gone, imprisoned in Azkaban. I feared he might already be dead.

October

Desperate to confide in someone, I decided to visit my brother Louis and his wife Cecilia for a weekend. I was going to tell Louis about what happened. It was eating me up not speaking to anyone. I had received a few letters from Ominis asking about me, but I sent him very vague ones back. No one else had bothered to write.

"Come in! We've missed you so much!" Cecilia said, squeezing me hard as she could. I felt something hard between us.

"Cec... are you-"

"Pregnant? Yes." She casually answered my question before I even finished it.

I was so ecstatically happy for them, though it hurt a little that they again didn't tell me.

We exchanged pleasantries and I ran straight to the rug to spend time with my nephew, Patrick. He was getting older now and was actually able to engage with me. I teared up looking at his innocence. As he laid on his back, laughing and smiling, I pressed my index finger to the palm of his hand. I felt my ancient magic let out a tiny spark that made a tiny audible blue pop, tickling his hand. He laughed and kicked his legs at the feeling.

"What'd you do to get him to laugh like that?" Louis said, peering over my shoulder.

"Just tickled him." I said, leaning in closer to Patrick. "Our little secret, alright mate?" I whispered.

Cecilia prepared us a delicious meal while I played and held Patrick and once our stomachs and hearts were full, Cecilia went upstairs to bathe Patrick, leaving Louis and I alone.

"How's Sebastian? I'm surprised he didn't come here with you, to be honest." Louis asked, pouring himself another whiskey and me another wine as I sat in front of the fireplace, curling my legs up to stay warm.

"He... uh..." I told myself to keep my emotions in check tonight but I struggled to find the words. I sighed. "There's something I need to tell you. You have to promise me you won't tell mum and dad."