thirty nine - regretful goodbyes

"Ominis! Where's Sebastian?" I caught his attention as we entered Herbology.

I hadn't seen him for the rest of Sunday. Even at lunch or dinner... or breakfast this morning. It was now third period and he was nowhere to be seen.

"Sorry, Lara. I haven't seen him. He was gone when I woke up this morning."

Fuck. I fucked up. Badly. Shit.

I itchingly sat through Herbology with the void next to me too noticeable. No comments about my awful abilities to keep plants alive. No gentle kick under the table when I commented back about the same thing. It hurt to think about how I'd once said we'd have no hope of ever keeping a garden alive at the cottage in Feldcroft.

One whole week. He'd been missing for seven, excruciatingly long days. I had a feeling I knew exactly where he was, but I hadn't found the time to go and check.

"Ominis." I said at the breakfast table on Sunday morning. One week to the day.

"Hm?" He replied, his head lifting from the plate Poppy had ever so lovingly filled with food for him.

"Can I speak to you?" My voice trembled as I spoke and fiddled with my hands.

He stood up and nodded before he guided himself towards the back corner of the Great Hall, away from prying eyes. I sighed hard, promising myself that this time I wouldn't cry.

"I know where he is."

"Yes, I have a feeling I do too. When shall we go?" Ominis said, placing a gentle hand on my forearm.

His warm touch and gentle tone of voice brought tears to my eyes and I was now grateful he wouldn't be able to see it, though my shuddering and quivering chest may give it away soon.

"We could probably go this afternoon, tell them we are studying. But, can I tell you something first?"

Ominis nodded at me and relaxed his posture slightly more, making me feel more comfortable.

"It's my fault."

"What do you mean?"

"I'm the reason he's left. I.... I found letters when we went to Feldcroft to visit Anne. They were on the table and they were all from her. I hid them in my bag to show him later but... I forgot about them. I only take that bag when we go out and we haven't lately... I found them last week and he was livid. I don't even know if he's read them or not."

"There were letters left from Anne? How? She was in St Mungo's right up until she died. How could she travel back to Feldcroft?"

"I don't know, Ominis... but I'm afraid that's why he left. He hates me. He thinks I kept them from him."

"Oh, sweetheart, I'm certain he doesn't hate you. We both know Sebastian is prone to being led by his emotions. He wears his heart on his sleeve. You think he's in Feldcroft?"

"I do. But who knows how long for."

"Then we'll go. We could probably sneak off now."

"Are you sure? Poppy said-"

"Don't worry about Poppy. I'll handle that. I'll meet you in 15 minutes near the floo flame."

Ominis spun around and head back to the table to let Poppy know he'd be leaving as I walked immediately to the floo flame.

"Off an another ad-" Ignatia began, realising I wasn't with Sebastian who was borderline going to knock her off the wall if she spoke to him again.

"Not now! My god, you truly know how to pick your moments!" I tilted my head back and pinched the bridge of my nose in frustration.