fifty three - home*

warning: mature content

I went straight back to Feldcroft after leaving London. When I got there, I sent an owl straight to mum and dad to let them know where I went. I told them Poppy needed help.

I opened the door and lit the fire in the cold cottage, kicked off my boots and removed my tights before wrapping myself in a blanket and laying on the lounge that I had pushed closer to the warmth of the fire. I tried to stay awake, just in case by some chance Sebastian came home. But it was naive of me to assume he'd even come here. I stared at the ticking clock on the wall until the sweet sensation of sleep consumed me.

I woke up to a dull noise outside the door. When I opened my bleary eyes, I realised the sun was starting to peek through the windows. I heard the sound of a pot plant moving from just outside the front door. I took my wand, though it was probably just a bloody niffler.

I approached the door carefully and turned the handle, my wand extended and peeked through the door.

It wasn't a fucking niffler at all.

My heart skipped a beat as I spotted Sebastian, one hand against the wall and the other reaching under the pot plant, searching for the spare key to the cottage. His presence left me speechless, a whirlwind of emotions churning within me.

"Sebastian?" I said, lowering my wand.

He stood up straight and stared at me. He still looked awful and he was wearing his Hogwarts uniform, though the robe was bundled in his arms. It broke my heart to remember that was what he was wearing when he went into that awful place.

"You're here." I said, opening the door wider.

"I am." He said, his dull, broken eyes peering at me. "And you're here too."

"I am." I could sense he wanted reassurance, unsure what was real and what wasn't. "You're free."

He nodded softly. "Can I come inside?"

"Yes! Please." I said, stepping aside and letting him cross the threshold into the house.

He looked around the cottage and gulped hard before turning back to me.

"Can I hug you?" He asked. His voice sounded cracked and broken.

"You don't have to ask me, Sebastian."

"I know... I just..." his voice croaked.

"Don't worry about it. You don't need to explain yourself." I said, pulling him into my arms.

He wrapped his hands around each shoulder, squeezing them tightly and nuzzling his nose into my neck as he inhaled deeply.

"Thank you." He whispered into my skin.

"What for?"

"Fighting for me. I owe you everything."

I felt his chest shudder against my own and I squeezed him tighter. It felt like I was dreaming having him back in my arms.

I broke our embrace and told him to sit on the lounge. He was filthy. It was like he hadn't bathed at all in the almost 12 months he was there.

I dragged out the copper bath and quickly cast aguamenti on it, filling it and heating it up with a quick blast of incendio.

He was almost drifting off to sleep on the lounge and I carefully peeled off his clothes. His previously tight uniform was now almost hanging off him. He had lost so much weight and all his muscle mass. Once I had removed all his clothes, I helped him climb into the bath. I draped a rolled towel on the edge and ushered him to lay down with his head leaning against the edge. I let him soak for a while and gathered myself another bucket, a comb, soap and shampoo and scissors.