𝙙𝙚𝙖𝙙 𝙖𝙡𝙞𝙫𝙚

: ̗̀➛

My prayer is not that you take them out of the world but that you protect them from the evil one.
John 17:15

       "Where's your dad?" I sat next to Maggie, who was just staring out at Ricks group.
       "Went to look for Rick."
       I followed her gaze, realizing she was staring down Glenn.
     "Still haven't talked to him?"
     "He broke my trust. I can't believe him."
     "But you love him?"
     She stayed quiet for a second, looking down at her feet.
     "I don't know."
     "Yes you do. I can see it in your eyes. Eyes are the windows to the soul, you know."
      "Yeah." she shrugged.
     I looked over to Daryls tent, thinking about how I hadn't talked to him since the day before. I wondered if he missed me. I missed him, and that made me feel silly.
      "I'll be back."

: ̗̀➛

      "Water for you." I smiled as I crawled into the tent. He gave me a weak smile as he sat up.
      "You love bringing me drinks."
      "Gives me an excuse to see you." I grinned.
      He took a drink of his water, clearing his throat.
      "You don't need an excuse to come see me," he mumbled.
     Giddiness filled me as I nudged him.
      "You going soft on me Dixon?"
       "Stop." He smiled shyly.
      It fell quiet for a second as I watched him take another drink of his water. I watched his addams apple bob up and down.
       "Can I be honest with you for a second?" I questioned. He just stared at me, which I took as a yes.
      "I really like being around you.... talking to you. You're a good man, and you really don't know who's good anymore, but you got this hard and mysterious act going. I see right though it. And I know you see me too."
      He stared at me, I could see his eyes soften.
    "You dont have to say anything, thank you."
      I gave him a soft kiss on the cheek, standing to leave right before I heard yells. I looked back at Daryl, who was already standing, his cross bow already in his hands.
     We rushed out, looking toward the barn. Shane was screaming at Rick and Hershel, who each had a walkers on a leash.
      "Shane, step back!" Rick yelled, standing toward the commotion in front of the barn. We bolted towards them, everyone else following behind us. My heart pounded.
      "He thinks these things are human! Tell me Hershel, could a human do this?" He fired a few bullets into the walker Hershel held. Hershel screamed out for him to stop. I froze, my hands flying over my mouth.
     "Shes still coming at me! Could a human do that?!" He fired a few more. "Shes still coming!"
     "Shane, enough!" Rick screamed. Shane smiled, stepping towards the walker.
     "You're right, Rick. That is enough." He placed one last bullet into the walkers head. Shane marched to the barn, beginning breaking the lock. Hershel collapsed to the ground.
     "Hershel! Hershel! Grab the walker, Hershel!" Rick screamed.
     I ran toward Shane, trying to pull him off the lock. He pushed his arm back harshly, knocking me toward the ground. The wind flew out of my lungs.
     "Stop!" I screamed. The lock busted as the barn doors busted open.
     As walkers began to pour out bullets rang. Bodies dropped. Mrs Ross. Mr Ross. Carla. Frank. Mr Gordon. Then out stumbled Eddie. His eyes as brown as ever. His messy copper hair.
     "No!" I screamed. An arrow flew through his head, his body hit the dirt with a hard thud.
     "Oh god!" I fumbled towards his body, pulling it close to me, sobbing. I felt like throwing up, like dying with him. I stared down at his blank face, his rotten skin. I couldn't feel anything else but us. My brother. My big brother.
"Eddie!" Kay dropped next to me. Everything blurred around us. All the gunshots were muffled, all the commotion around us wasn't really there. I looked down at him, hot tears rolling down my cheeks. Kay grabbed my arm tightly, sobbing heavily. I just stared down. Just stared.