𝙝𝙖𝙩𝙚𝙙 𝙖𝙡𝙞𝙫𝙚

: ̗̀➛
I took a swig of my water bottle. The alcohol burned my throat as it went down. I felt so ashamed every time I drank, like my daddy, but I couldn't stop just like him too.
I wiped the tears off my cheeks as I stared up at the moon, sat in the wet grass beside the barn.
"Can I join?" My sisters face glowed from the moon.
      I quickly tried to tuck the liquor away but she sat beside me, putting up her hands, "Don't worry, i'm not here to mother you."
      I hesitantly pulled it back out, unscrewing the lid, offering her a drink.
     "No, no. Just came to check on you."
     "I'm okay."
     "No you're not."
     "No i'm not." I laughed shortly, taking a swig.
     "I'm not either."
     "I know."
      We both fell quiet, looking up at the sky.
"I love you." She kept staring at the sky.
I looked over at her in confusion.
"You're not gonna kill yourself, are you?" I was only half joking.
"No. I just love you, Del," She laughed, "You're my favorite person. You saved my life. I just... you're all I have left."
I didn't know how to reply, never having her show vulnerability like this. I just offered her the liquor. She hesitantly took it, taking a drink, followed by a gag and a shiver.
"That's disgusting."
"It gets better the more you drink." I smiled.

: ̗̀➛

I stood outside the chicken coop, rifle in my hands. I was tired. I should've slept instead of drink. Knowing that boy was behind the door made me sick. I couldn't fight it.
I unlocked the door, stepping in. He thrashed around as I stepped closer. I pulled off his gag and blindfold, pointing the uncocked gun in his face.
"You scream and I'll blow your face all over this coop."
He whimpered, nodding.
"How do you know me?" I questioned.
"I went to school with you... and Maggie. Y'all were best friends, right?" He sounded like he was pleading with me, it made me sick, "And you had a twin brother too. He was on the football team." Eddie. My lip trembled.
"I don't know you."
"Because I was a dork," He laughed nervously, "Miss Kates science class, I sat two seats behind you. Third row. You were smart."
I narrowed my eyes at him, my breathing heavy, my chest heavy.
"What the hell are you doing?" I felt Daryls hand yank me back. He stuffed the gag back in the boys mouth before slamming the chicken coop door behind him.
He locked the lock roughly before looking at me with wide, scary eyes.
"What the hell-"
"Have you lost your damn mind?" He snapped.
"I'm grown! I can do-"
"If I ever see you in there again I will personally kill you."
"Who the hell are you?" I laughed in disbelief of him trying to mother me, especially after our last argument, "You don't dictate what the hell I do!"
"You want to die?"
"He's tied up-"
"I want you alive, jackass! You can't do stupid shit like that!"
"Like you would care," I laughed coldly, "Look at how you talked about Dale!"
"Because I can't stand losing more people, Del! You don't think that hurt? It did but you gotta man up and move the hell on! And you need to learn to do that! But if it was you... I... it wouldn't be the same.." He trailed off, just staring down at me. I had never seen this much emotion in his eyes.
"I told you never to touch me again-"
"Just keep yourself alive and stop doing stupid shit. I don't give a damn if you hate me, i'd rather you hate me alive then like me dead."
I just looked him up and down. My words caught in my throat. I didn't have a reply. I didn't want to care that he cared about me but I did. I felt my breath shallowing.
"Move."
"No." He sat down in front of the door, kicking his feet up.
"Move!" I snapped.
"You'll have to shoot me."
I narrowed my eyes at him. I obviously couldn't do that. If it wasn't him my rage I had in the moment could've probably brought me to do it. I exhaled deeply, sitting next to him.
He quietly handed me a cigarette. I put it between my lips, puffing on it as he got one for himself.
"You got a light-"
He lit the end of mine."
"Thanks," I replied shortly.
We just looked up at the night sky.