𝙬𝙚𝙖𝙠

: ̗̀➛
"Hey." Daryl leaned against the brick opening of my cell. I jumped up, hugging him tightly.
"You okay?" I pulled away, examining his body for scratches or bites.
"They're dead."
My body froze.
"Who?"
"Your new friend, he got bit. The other one escaped and the white guy is still here."
"Oh." I sat down on my bunk.
"You okay?"
"Yeah, I'm okay. It's just... even though I didn't know him, death doesn't get any less sad."
He just pursed his lips, looking down at me.
"I'll be okay though." I gave him a reassuring smile. I could tell he worried about me, or felt sorry for me.
"I'm here if you need to uh.. talk or anything."
"I know."
"You wanna go for a walk?"

: ̗̀➛

The moon was the only light we were able to see. It casted a glow down on us as gravel crunched under our feet. We scanned the fences, being able to tune out the groans and moans now.
Daryls cigarette glew in the dark.
"Last one." He handed it to me.
"We could make a run into town in the morning."
We climbed up top the flipped car, sitting with our legs dangling off the edge.
"Nah, it's okay. I'll go. You stay here."
"What's with you and Rick treating me like a baby?"
"You are a baby."
"I'm only like four years younger than you."
He chuckled, shaking his head.
"How old do you think I am?"
"Like thirty?"
He laughed.
"Twenty eight."
"Dang old man. I was right though." I playfully nudged him. He smiled.
"I never asked you about your life before." He took the cigarette back from me.
"What do you wanna know? You know my dad was an asshole, I had three siblings. Momma left after Jake was born. I had a dog."
"What was your job?"
"Ha... I worked as a waitress in a club. I wanted to go to college. I did for awhile."
"For what?"
"Ohio state, psychology."
"Suits you. Why'd you stop?"
"Couldn't afford it. That's where I met David," my engagement ring winked at me, "He was studying to become a doctor. Spent two years together before he proposed."
"You miss him?"
"I do. He was the first man to treat me good. I had a string of horrible boyfriends. He was kind and smart, but he hadn't went through anything close to what I had. We couldn't relate on that. I did love him but... I didn't want to marry him."
"Why'd you say yes?"
"Because I knew I couldn't find anyone better."
He looked over at me, staring me down for a second.
"What?" I got nervous with how long he stared.
"You could've," He muttered, taking a puff of the cigarette. The smoke hit me in my face.
"No," I shook my head, "I'm practically unlovable with everything I carry with me."
"You ain't unlovable." He said with a quickness. He even looked surprised with himself for saying it.
I cleared my throat, feeling my face get hot.
"We should head back in. It's late-"
"I'm serious," He cut me off, "Don't ever say stupid shit like that."
"I... You don't know." I shook my head.
He looked me up and down, tossing the cigarette to the pavement.
"I do."
I felt a lump in my throat, at a loss of words. I had never had someone talk to me like that. I knew I was hard to love. I was a scared person, a difficult, emotional person.
Our eyes met with each others.
"You don't know me. If you did you would understand."
"I don't know you?"
"No. You do, but... you also don't. You haven't seen it yet. You will one day. I'll push you away and shut myself off."
"I won't let you."
"You'll want me to when you see the real me. I'm emotional and timid and-"
"Stop."
"I'm just being honest."
"I told you to stop saying stupid shit like that."
"It's the truth."
"It ain't. You just got a big heart."
"And that can get me killed nowadays."
He said nothing for a second, because he knew I was right.
"Don't talk like that."
"I know that will be my death. I'm too trusting... and i'm weak. I like to think I was built for this world but i'm not. You are."
"You're alive, ain't you? You've saved lives. You kept everyone safe."
"That doesn't mean anything."
"I don't wanna hear you say anything else about dying."
"Well it's going to happened. It's going to happen to all of us... except you. You're gonna be the last man standing."
"Del."
"It's better to prepare yourself for death so it hurts a little less."
"You ain't going to die, stop it," he snapped. I could tell I was really making him mad, but I was right. No matter how much it upset him, it was the truth.
"I'm just trying to help you. I don't want it to hurt you when i'm gone."'
He rubbed his eyes, looking back at me. His look had changed, he seemed stern. I felt like I was in trouble.
"Let's go inside."
"Are you mad at me?" My voice was soft.
"No," He hopped off the car, offering me a hand down, "Come on."